I think we have Cocci

marie_martin

Songster
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Grenada, MS
I have lost several babies over the last week or so and I wondered what was going on but had not seen anything that would lead me to think cocci. Yesterday, I found some bloody poop and I guess that has answered my question. I cleaned out all the coops and put in new shavings. I put cocci meds in the water, but what else can I do? I don't want all of my babies to die. Thanks.

Marie

Strange that they are dying. cocci is a protozoa that lives in the dirt. A normal healthy birds immune system can usually deal with them , in normal concentrations. The problem become when the birds have compromise immune systems or come into a concentrated population of them (this happens in coops , the poop of infected birds are filled with them.

So, this means that the chicks poop needs to be constantly removed until the infection is under control.

If these chicks have never been on the ground, in contact with chicken poop from birds that have been on the ground, or play sand, then your problem isnt cocci.

Well, we have had a lot of rain lately and I have not been able to clean out the coop like I usually do. I got out there Sunday and cleaned everthing out and put down clean dry shavings. I have put cocci meds in all the waterers. I had one little one in the house in a box over night and it had blood in it's poop and was dead by this morning. Will continue to watch the others. I just don'e know. Have never had anything like this. I need to work on the coop I guess. I use the deep litter method right now but maybe should change that. I just don't know.

Marie

:aww I just lost my blue orpington and another girl to this... they had never been outside, either, but I figure I probably forgot to change my shoes and stepped in their pen with it.
sad.png

If you can get them on wire temporarily to keep them away from the poo, that will help. Sulmet (2 tbsp/1 gallon water) in their water... are they weak, huddled, fluffed up, pale? Not drinking, not eating? I was told to reduce the protein and not to give them the baby vitamins because it will counteract the meds. Keep them warm and quiet. How old are they? What breed?

Marie,
I have a problem with cocci any time the bedding gets wet. I had chicks inside my house, in a brooder. Never been outside. I went on vacation and my "chicksitter" let the bedding get wet, I mean it was caked when I got home. I was so upset. A few days later, I saw bloody poops. I started sulmet ( I think that's how it's spelled) that day. I lost one baby, but the other pulled through and are doing great now (10 weeks old). Now, my teenagers out in the coop brooder have never been outside. It rained inside the door to my coop a few days ago, and 3 days ago, there's bloody poop. Usually within the first day of giving Sulmet, the bloody poops are gone. Even cleaning out the bedding LOTS, I think it's hard to get rid of and it just waits for the right living conditions (moisture).

We are battling cocci also. I lost two pullets...one with a lot of mucus--not cocci, and the other died in a matter of hours with no warning, she developed bloody poop over night and died in my lap the next morning shortly after I found her laying on the ground.

I started Sulmet yesterday in their water, and today I have two pullets with normal poop, and two with bloody and/or diarrhea. One of my two hens has bloody poop too. Does Sulmet make their poop a strange color? My big hen, who has been fine this entire time, had normal shaped poop with a strange shade of brown liquid around it today when we were out in the yard playing with them...

Marie I hope you with the cocci battle. It's so sad waiting and watching to see if they will make it.
sad.png

Andora, the sulfa drug can continue intestinal bleeding awhile, even if the cocci is kicked. That's why it's been recommended to start the treatment with Corid (Amprolium) instead then alternate with Sulmet if it's still hanging around.

Back
Top Bottom