I think..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LolaTroy, Jul 3, 2011.

1. LolaTroy

LolaTroy Out Of The Brooder

I think I may be getting a Jersey Giant chick soon.
    I've never raised chicks before. Anyone wanna give me notes on the basics?

2. llaaadyel

llaaadyel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Lower NY
    If its a chick, you will have to set it up in a brooder until it is fully feathered. Doesn't have to be elaborate, I use rubermaid containers. You will need a source of heat. I use a clamp on light fixture that are pretty inexpensive in the pet store or feed store. They also have the lights. You will need to keep the brooder at 90 for the first week, 85 second and 5 degrees cooler each week until they are fully feathered at which time they can go outside to the coop which you will also need. I would highly recommend that you get more than one chick. Chickens are social animals and like to have company. They just aren't suitable as single pets. As far as the coop is concerned, you won't need a large one for just 2. The rule of thumb is 4 sqft per bird. You will have to provide safe housing from preditors which also depends on where you live. I am in NY which means I am worried about raccoons, opposums, fox, coyote, dogs, cats, and hawks mostly.

You will find a wealth of information here. I suggest you buy a book on raising chickens and read everything you can on the subject here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by