I this poop normal after move? Picture

weenie007

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
I just move my hens to a new home about a week and half ago. Some are pooping fine and 3 out of 10 have diahrea like poop. Is it normal for their poop to look like diahrea. I had asked this question on another post but then realized I had put it in the wrong place. WARNING: GROSS PICTURE

Thanks!

DSCN2794.jpg

Looks like cecal poo. Chickens have two vestigial loops in their digestive system. Two or three times a day, they evacuate these loops. It's absolutely disgusting, the way it looks, the smell.
sickbyc.gif
That one looks like it has a tiny bit of foam to it which can indicate worms. If there are no other symptoms, I wouldn't sweat it.

Looks like cecal poo and it's normal for all birds to leave one of those every once in a while. Sometimes it is light like your pic, sometimes it is dark like a melted Hershey's. It can be more or less "melty" depending on what they've eaten and the weather (hot = lots of water). Foam can be a sign of worms, but I agree, don't sweat it now, and if you are really really really worried, take a mixed up sample of various droppings to the vet for a fecal float test.

Thanks. To deworm what do I buy an how do i give it to the girls? Thanks.

Depends on what kind of worms. Ideally you should get a test done and figure out what they have first. One of the largest problems I see is over medication of pets and humans. Treating with something that does not kill what you are trying to kill builds resistance in all microbes and living present and does not do anything for your problem, treating with stuff that you don't even know is there just weakens the thing being treated, as wormers and meds do damage internals in the process. I've personally never wormed my flock.

Back
Top Bottom