I thought 4 week BO chick had a strawberry stuck to bum

New adventure

Songster
10 Years
Feb 27, 2009
Pueblo, Colorado
but her roomies had pulled out all her tailfeathers last night. I thought she'd sat on the strawberry treat.
She's away from the flock, cleaned her up and applied Neosporin, and seems better; just rather em-bear-rassed at the bald lump attached to her
How long will it be til feathers come back? Will she have to moult for replacements or will they just fill in now?

Can I ask another question too? Someone wrote that pullets have rounded edges on their neck and throat feathers; and roos have pointy-er feathers. Is that true for all breeds?
Thanks for your help! Elaine

Not sure but hopefully someone else will know... Is she prolapsed maybe .. You said it looked like she had a strawberry on her bum..

Well, the chicks will go through 4 moults over the next six months or so. She's in an ultra fast growth stage, so I'm thinking 3 weeks. She may need some blue lotion on that mark ( same sort of thing as a liquid called no-peck) so the others will leave it alone. Sometimes Vicks vapo rub will work too, or bag balm. But the blue lotion fools the others into thinking the stub is not red, which they love to peck!

How old is she? Might benefit from some crumbles mixed with yogurt to boost protein levels. Is it crowded in there? Anyone else getting de-feathered?
cool.png

Oh and remember the new feather growth will make her very sensitive back there...

Last edited:
sebrights are hen feathered

the feather folicles should still be there and may ake as long as 6 weeks to get new feathers

She seems to be feeling ok - I put her in a separate brooder with a cross-beaked EE and the 2 other smallest chicks so she wouldn't get picked on any more. They had been a bit crowded; that problem is solved.
I put neosporin on her bum and it looks a lot better, not red any more, just bald. Since she is still feathering out, maybe some more tail feathers will show up.
Thanks - Elaine

She's recovering nicely, got to play in the orchard today. I haven't seen any new feathers yet, but the skin isn't red any more and looks good.
Also, I rearranged the brooder occupants and everyone is happier.
Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom