I thought 6 was plenty...and then...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AlaskGirl, Jul 8, 2010.

1. AlaskGirl

AlaskGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    I'm thinking over my Springtime decision to get chickens for the first time back in April. I found out a neighbor had a dog team and another had a horse so I figured a few hens would go well under the radar...I thought six would be great! So I got 12 thinking some roosters may be in the mix...and then some may die...well, three dog attacks later and some great poultry friends, today I am up to 22 chickens!! I just brought home four EE/RIR chicks tonight and I'm counting my blessings for such a wonderful summer so far!! While things haven't always gone as I hoped, I am so pleased to say that this endeavor has brought my family and I closer while we eat our own eggs and provide for three different age groups. It brings a whole new dimension to my two urban acres. I'm grateful! [​IMG]

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    It is ridiculously fun. I too have had my share of sucesses and disasters. But everyday, it is fun, fun to go give the girls a treat, fun go find how many eggs, fun to watch them hunt up bugs!

I am down to 5 hens, but two are broody, each will have a dozen eggs under here tonight. Fingers crossed.

mk

3. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    I'm trying desperately to stick to the 5-chickens rule, but I am not succeeding. This thing has overcome me, and I need to replace my chain-link feence with a stockade one so that nobody can see in my backyard and count my chickens. I LOVE your avatar!

4. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Quote:5 CHICKENS?????????? I have 17 and I didn't think that was enough........how do you do it? lol! Replace your fence hahahaha! I'm sure the neighbors wouldn't mind a few more! Whats a few more.....right? Maybe 20 total.....25....okay 28!!!!!! [​IMG]

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I am new to having chickens this year as well and I am just discovering this whole "chicken math" thing. LOL I have just the four that I promised I would stick to so far but BOY do I have PLANS for next year!! All I have to do is convince DH that those "really neat" green and blue egg laying chickens would be awesome starting next year not the following year when the four that we have now start going down in the egg production. How to convince him of 25 Ameraucana chicks tho??!! [​IMG]

6. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I have four. I need twelve more. No wait, fifteen more. Wait, more more more more.

7. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    [​IMG]
    I know! Right?? I could maybe give the more to my DH for his birthday next March! Maybe that would work! [​IMG]

8. roosterdog

roosterdog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    Throckmorton
    Same here on the 6 was plenty.

I bought 25 chicks and divided them with a friend - that was pretty easy .

Now I have 12 and promised 1/2 of them to my neighbor next door...but which ones stay and which ones leave is my problem.

Her Husband is building her Chicken Coop with a gate between our yard..so I can visit? LOL

".....what we do for love....of a chicken"

9. AlaskGirl

AlaskGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    You're all too funny, I feel so much better--I thought I was slightly obsessed so it's good to know you're all in this with me!! I am definitely a sucker for EE's so if not for that, I might've slowed down somewhat.

10. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Welllllllllll, I started with three little day old pullets from a hatchery. Drove there and picked them up. Lily, Daisy & Violet all thrived under my care and then, sadly, Violet was taken by an unseen predator. Never even found a feather. Sooooo I cried, and then I went to the hatchery and filled Violet's void with ummmm, four pullets (A RIR & 3 EEs). And then I picked up three silkies. Didn't like the silkies much so I re-homed them. Bought some, sold some, ya-da-ya-da and now, I have 19 chickens!

How did this happen? LOL I LOVE IT![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by