I thought 6 was plenty...and then...

See chicmom that is the part of the "chicken math" that worries me. This whole replacing one with anywhere from two (can't just have one chick) to ten! I have been lucky so far and have not lost one but they are starting to get to free range now and I am worried that if I did lose one I, the number would skyrocket quickly!!
big_smile.png

My Hubby has decided I am nuts. In the beginning we were going to get pheasent chicks to raise and then let go. A slight mix up occurred and dear hubby had me angry- I had worked on the coop and researched and such. Unsure of how I started researching chickens but I was. And then a friend of a friend had chickens to sell- I was lead to believe they were chicks as I really wanted the kids excited about raising the birds with me. They are not chicks but we couldn't offend said friend so we bought 12- 1 Turken, 1 white silkie and 10 unknown. These chickens didn't come with either a breed or an age so I am guessing they are around 11-12 weeks old and have yet to narrow down the breed. Since I didn't know what I was picking I ended up with a lot of Roosters in the mix.

So what did I do? I went looking at hatchery sites and found the chicks I really wanted and ordered ....65 chicks :>O And now am working on more chicken buildings and such. I may be nuts as I have also found on craigslist a few more chickens and am tempted as they tell me they are laying and I know mine won't for a bit more.

I know what ya'll are talking about!

A few months ago my son and I took a trip to Tractory Supply (while my wife and daughter were away). We happened to be there during their annual "Chick Days". Of course the little guy wanted chicks so I had him call mommy (she can't say no to him)
tongue.png
. So that night we came home with 6 chicks. A few days later I had to pick up dog food. It wouldn't make sense to only pick up dog food so I got 4 more chicks JUST in case I had too many roos in the first batch. We were good with 10 chicks until they started to grow up and I realized we had 5 roos in the flock. Turns out a local feed mill was advertising chicks a few weeks ago. My wife loves having the chickens around so when I told her about the chicks at the feed mill she told me to get some
celebrate.gif
so I came home with 7 pullets. A few days later we were out hitting some yard sales and our path happened to take up past the feed mill. I made sure to point it out to the kids who of course wanted to stop! That morning we came home with 4 more pullets. Don't tell my wife but this was all part of my plan I just never expected it would be this easy to sell her on the idea! For now our coop is at maximum capacity so I guess we are done adding to the flock.

Remember, counting chickens is very difficult. They LOOK like there is more there than really is. It takes a crazy chicken lady to count them, and her tally is whatever she wants it to be and is finale.

THAT is my story and I am sticking to it!

Mrs. K :

Remember, counting chickens is very difficult. They LOOK like there is more there than really is. It takes a crazy chicken lady to count them, and her tally is whatever she wants it to be and is finale.

THAT is my story and I am sticking to it!

So, THAT'S it. Explains it perfectly. "4, maybe 6" was my original plan.
lau.gif

Every last one of my chickens (and both ducks) are MINE, I tell you: MINE. I don't want to give any up. But I have too many roosters. They're all so... cute. In addition to Carl who ain't goin' nowhere, ever, I have 2 Silver Sebrights and they're buddies, 1 Buff Brahma (bantam) and he's just a hoot to watch, and now there's a little bantam Gold laced cochin roo. He's adorable. Bossy with his 3 coop mates which I HOPE are all pullets.

I need to update my signature soon.​

I started last year with 9, had to eat the rooster ( he got too mean to keep). This year I now have 20! I've had such a ball with my gals, I couldn't pass up 3 more Rhode Island Reds and another leghorn at the feed store this past spring. I'm secretly hoping for one of the reds to be a rooster. Then I thought I'd throw some meat chickens in the mix to see how that works. I've also progressed to add 6 turkeys as well. What clucking fun!

We started with 6 I wonder now what does 6 chicks look like
idunno.gif
we have a steady 200 and up towards 400 during chick season..2 weeks ago we drove nearly 700 miles for a real nice roo and some rare young birds.Oh my husband...he knows I'm crazy but crazy is as crazy does so he went with me on that trip
lau.gif
that rooster was my 20th Anniversary present
clap.gif

WOW! Well, in my defense, I'll print this out for my husband to read in the event I encounter resistance down the line. He is happy to hear when there are more eggs so that's my new "angle" to use later
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom