I thought dodo birds were extinct?

They are very durable and those temps are hardly cold by our standards in winter. However they get eaten very easily at night. I've lost dozens since I first got them because of their desire to roost in trees. We have single handedly re-established the great horned owl population in this area.
roll.png

Finn's Mom :

How did you do with the snow? Have they come back at all?

They are still out there. Today makes day 6. They are roosting in the pines at my parents house every night which is between my house and the farm. The problem is now, a few of the farms guineas are with them and it's hard trying to split them out. They are now crossing the road going to the farm (which they had started to do anyway) but now it's several times a day. Eventually their luck is going to run out crossing that road. A lot of the snow is starting to melt and I plowed a 6 foot path from the pines all the way across the field to the coop. That's been clean grass now for 2 days but they will have no part of it. I tried slowly guiding them down it 2 days ago, they got 100 feet, and flew back to the pines. I'm going to sprinkle some millet in the path this morning and see if that will spark them to follow it. Most of the snow should be gone by mid week, they might decide to come back then. That is if they survive the road crossings now.​

If you do the millet don't make it a continuous line or you'll be there for days. Put a tiny pile a little bit past where they first get a taste. Or if they have a certain pan you usually give them millet in you can get them to that, pick it up move it a little further away and hopefully you'll make it to the barn.

*Update*

I have 7 of the 8 cooped.

I walked over this morning to see if they were in the pines before I started with the millet. My dad was out there and said they were all just out in the road directing traffic (good lord). Ten of them, my eight and two of the farms were all together. Let's give it a shot. Got them walking down the path , all ten, I didn't even try to split out the two. Got to the coop and seven went in, the two from the farm flew up taking my eighth with them. That bird was 2 inches from the opening, grrrr. My eighth and the farms two are about 50 yards away around oaks in a ditch. They might all come to the coop later when I can get that one in. Either that or he/she will stick with the farms two. At least I have 7 up now.

Timing is everything when it comes to Guineas and you found it.

Now, if you don't already have one, get a covered outside pen built. It allows you to give them the choice to go out when there is snow on the ground but it keeps them from taking to the trees when it is. It has been one of the smartest things I've done with these guys.

I never did get #8 cooped. I believe he has taken up with the 5 at the farm. About 50% of the snow is still on the ground and they are calling for the possibility of a "BIG" storm Christmas day. So the gang will be cooped for a while. I can't take a chance letting them out with snow still on the ground and they not going back up with a big storm coming. It will be interesting however if #8 will get back with them when they all get together again.

Back
Top Bottom