I thought I had barred rock roos but maybe not. PICTURES ADDED!

stormylady

Songster
11 Years
Dec 27, 2008
Illinois
I was looking at my barred rock 10 week old roos and noticed that they have pinkish legs and feet but my 18 weeks old female Barred rock has yellow legs? What do you think they might be? Thanks in advance, Sandy

Last edited:
I was just searching through some old post and I think that they sent me 5 cuckoo Marans only one is a girl if they are the same coloration as the Barred Rocks. Because they have a straight comb like the Barred rock and not like the Doms. Hmmmm but like I said the biggest difference seems of be the leg color kinda a pale pinkish color. Am I right, Thanks again,Sandy

OHHH i hope they are the Marans I was thinking of ordering some!I get alot of different breeds this way, the first time they sent me 6 warmer chicks free, (Light Brahma) and got a freebee accidental girl, now they sent me 5 warmer chicks (Cuckoo Marans) I hope and one is a girl, At least I think she is a girl. Woooo Hoooooo!

Last edited:
Ooh, I hope they are Marans too! And that you DO have a little girl in with the group. I'm no expert, but I would expect that there would be similar differences between the sexes as with barred rocks. If one looks noticeably darker, probably a pullet.

You may well have barred rocks. Ive heard of several people, and myself included, have gotten barred rocks with white legs. So there are a lot out there. I got them from a hatchery and also from an individual selling eggs.

Quote:
Hi Halo, so is there any defining diff. so I would know the diff for sure outside of the eggs providing the girl( I hope ) lays an egg? Thanks Sandy
The actual Barred Rocks that I got came from the hatchery that I got these little chicks from.

Lauralou- The one I suspect as being a girl has a very small,yellow comb and is much darker than the boys with large red combs at this point, also the barring isn't quite as barred looking as the barred rock (not as uniform looking)but could still be easily confused with a barred rock. (make sense?) Thanks Sandy

I think the best way for us to find out for sure is to post some pics so we could have a chance to see them
smile.png

Quote:
I would be happy to post some pictures, I got to take them first. Be back in a little while. takes a few minutes to catch em and make them sit down! There fast little jokers and can turn on a dime! LOL

Ok heres some pictures to help us out! Again there not very good but hope you can make out what they are.
20212_cuckoo_maran_chicks_016.jpg
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/20212_cuckoo_maran_chicks_017.jpg[/img]
20212_cuckoo_maran_chicks_019.jpg
20212_cuckoo_maran_chicks_008.jpg

This is the one I suspect as being a pullet?
20212_cuckoo_maran_chicks_011.jpg
20212_cuckoo_maran_chicks_001.jpg

Hope the pictures help. Oh yeah don't know if I mentioned it but they are 10 weeks old.sorry about the pic quality of the (girl) but she didn't want to play the photo game today. LOL
20212_cuckoo_maran_chicks_003.jpg
20212_cuckoo_maran_chicks_005.jpg
THE LAST PICTURE IS THE GIRL? A LOUSEY PICT. BUT YOU CAN SEE HER COLOR BETTER I THINK.AND HER LACK OF COMB COMPARED TO THE BOYS. THANKS AGAIN SANDY

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom