I thought i knew the breed bout not sure now help lol

Duck Mad

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 13, 2011
Rugby
82535_pets_159.jpg

Thought he was an Appleyard.. but could be WH ... does anybody know which breed ducky is for sure?

82535_mels_and_muddley_003.jpg

This one was supposed to be a female Muscovy.. but size tells me the duck is male...
what age do Muscovys get red faces? no sign of red yet

I'm still learning breeds, but I think your first one might be a saxony or welsh harlequin and the other one looks ancona to me. I do see some heavy markings on the bill, perhaps it's a hybrid? I'm not 100% sure.

Last edited:
The first one has to be a Harlequin - he's too small and slender to be an Appleyard (and the color's wrong for a Saxony).

The second one looks like maybe a Muscovy hybrid (also known as a "mule" or "hinny" duck, depending one whether the Muscovy was the father or mother). If it is a hybrid, it will be sterile and unable to breed. Either that or it's a pure Muscovy. I don't know much about 'Scovies!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
The top photo looks like color is off (on the photo, not the duck, as whites are not white) but I would guess Saxony also if size is the same. Welsh harlequins are smaller, light weight ducks versus the heavyweight breed of the appleyard and saxony. Has anyone ever heard of Manikin ducks? Someone told me they look a lot like WH but I can't find any info on them. Anyway, both beautiful birds!

Edited to add: I'm not saying sweetfolly is wrong about the bird coloring, I don't know much about it so I can't say. But the color in the photo can also be misleading...maybe another pic? I would say the size difference should be enough to tell if it's Saxony or WH though.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
smile.png
thanks everyone .... I will try uploading another pic, (silly me posting funny coloured photo) ... yeah I have been looking at photos of saxony and WH an I still am confused .. he is bigger than my K C I will see if I have got photos of both together ... apprieciate the help. can see what you are al saying x

I think it's something that happens to everyone.
wink.png
Even when it looks good on my comp, I go elsewhere and it is not a "natural" color. Technology can sometimes be frustrating...

WH drakes would be about 1lbs heavier than KC, not sure how that translates size wise....either way, you have GORGEOUS birds! I tried vent sexing for the first time with my new ducklings to make sure they are all female, I got 2 KCs and by the looks of your drake I'm now kinda hoping I got one wrong. lol

Here is a link to a topic where they have pics of WH drakes
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=421143

Saxony drakes have more muted coloration- predominately a deep, rust colored red with underlying silver hues, the head and neck are a grayish blue, the neck has a white ring, dark eyes, dark yellow feet and bills. Couldn't find an example pic here, maybe someone else can help.

*You might want to take the word of someone more experienced than me, I am still learning and my knowledge is all based from books or others on the site. Really I am just another duck addict who loves to oggle at pretty birds.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Hahaha tell me about it, typical technology when you try to point out things lol ...
Thanks for sharing that post.. Them WH have real green heads and my ducky has more of blackish lol .. he does seem more like the Saxony I think
Haha so your after a drake now
smile.png
.. I love my boys, they are much more mischevious than the girls. if fact I would of loved more sweet females, but my neighbours might have something to say about the quacking ... The boys had bad habbits of wanting to mate with anything and everything lol, but have now fixed that problem, by playing rough and tumble (they love it) it gets their excitment out of their systems lol ... an haha i am the same, its their cuteness that captures my brain and sends me crazy about ducks lol x

Back
Top Bottom