Rouen Ducks

SmithsCoop41

Chirping
Sep 29, 2023
Hey y'all! I am trying to find out what kind of male duck I have. I have 2 female Rouen ducks that are about 6 months old, that I've had every since they were ducklings, and the male duck that I got from a friend, that is a little over 5 months old. I'm not really sure what kind he is, I'm thinking he is a Rouen duck, which mallards are the ancestor to. He is more brightly colored and bigger than the females, and also where the females have dark bills, he has yellow bill. I have always thought mallards to be medium sized ducks, whereas a Rouen is more of a heavy duck breed. Also, I have always heard the male birds are always more brightly colored than the females, with the females being more dull colored. Is this true about the Rouen ducks also? Can someone please clarify if the Rouen males have green iridescent heads, with a brighter blue patch on their wings? This would make sense the mallard is the ancestor of the present day Rouen duck, and the mallards have the green iridescent head. Also, what does a true mallard duck look like and a Rouen duck look like, because what I am seeing online, shows complete opposite. I'm confused. It's not that big of a deal, just curious to find out what I have. I have attached pictures of all of the ducks.

Attachments

• Ducks.jpg
    Ducks.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 64

Back
Top Bottom