I thought I read about using a shoelace to wick water

I think that method of supplying water to an incubator would be as effective as a FART IN A HURRICANE. :old :gig

Read and follow instructions that came with your incubator, and follow them for best results.
If you don't have instructions, then Google search for PDF file containing them. You will need Make, and Model #..... Easy-peazy

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

I can't help re the shoelace method you mentioned... 🧐

...but I do use a medical squeeze bottle with aquarium-type tubing to fill the water channels without having to open the incubator, though I still have to refill the channels fairly frequently (circulated air incubator).

Using something like paper towels or sponges may potentially reduce the frequency of needing to add water, too, because they hold moisture in more effectively than an incubator channel/well.

Best of luck!

I can't help re the shoelace method you mentioned... 🧐

...but I do use a medical squeeze bottle with aquarium-type tubing to fill the water channels without having to open the incubator, though I still have to refill the channels fairly frequently (circulated air incubator).

Using something like paper towels or sponges may potentially reduce the frequency of needing to add water, too, because they hold moisture in more effectively than an incubator channel/well.

Best of luck!
can also potentially increase the risk of bacteria.

Based on what? I've used both paper towels to wick and sponges, without bacterial issues.

A warm, wet, porous material left in that environment over a long period of time, where it encounters non sterile air filled with bacteria which is then sucked into its environment is a breeding ground for bacteria, This isnt an opinion thing its a fact. The issue I see is with Material which comes off the eggs when they hatch, and into the sponge which then is given a cursory wash and thrown back in for later incubations

your average kitchen sponge is basically covered in it. From a recent study that examined kitchen sponges, "researchers found up to 54 billion bacteria per cubic centimeter"

Paper towels being a biodegradable material.....probably even more so.

A warm, wet, porous material left in that environment over a long period of time, where it encounters non sterile air filled with bacteria which is then sucked into its environment is a breeding ground for bacteria, This isnt an opinion thing its a fact. The issue I see is with Material which comes off the eggs when they hatch, and into the sponge which then is given a cursory wash and thrown back in for later incubations

your average kitchen sponge is basically covered in it. From a recent study that examined kitchen sponges, "researchers found up to 54 billion bacteria per cubic centimeter"

Paper towels being a biodegradable material.....probably even more so.
To be clear, no one suggested reusing sponges, or not keeping an eye on them to ensure they're not growing cultures while in the incubator. Can you cite any studies (or even anecdotal evidence) that find using clean paper towels or new sponges poses a bacterial infection risk to incubating eggs? I use a type of cellophane sponge during lockdown that's antimicrobial, though I'm not convinced that's strictly necessary if the sponge is new and uncontaminated.

I probably wouldn't use a shoelace as a wicking material, but (clean) paper towels, the paper wicking "cards" sold by reputable incubator manufacturers, and new sponges, pose minimal harmful bacterial proliferation risk.

To be clear, no one suggested reusing sponges, or not keeping an eye on them to ensure they're not growing cultures while in the incubator. Can you cite any studies (or even anecdotal evidence) that find using clean paper towels or new sponges poses a bacterial infection risk to incubating eggs? I use a type of cellophane sponge during lockdown that's antimicrobial, though I'm not convinced that's strictly necessary if the sponge is new and uncontaminated.

I probably wouldn't use a shoelace as a wicking material, but (clean) paper towels, the paper wicking "cards" sold by reputable incubator manufacturers, and new sponges, pose minimal harmful bacterial proliferation risk.

That really depends, again on what is on the egg, what is in the air in your home, what is on your hands as you touch the sponge, paper towel, wicking card etc

The short answer is yes, there are studies that show that bacteria can grow on sponges and paper towels, there are studies that show unused paper towels from the factory having harmful bacteria already on it. Yes if you need introduce bacteria to a sponge, paper towel, or wicking card in a warm wet environment the bacteria will grow there.

Last edited:
I use a condiment squeeze bottle to refill the water channels in my incubator. When the air is especially dry, I've placed a folded paper towel into a ramiken and added water to it; the additional surface area really helps bump up the humidity.

I'm more likely to view the thing that came out of the chicken's poop-chute as a source of bacteria than the paper towel torn off a clean roll. I wash my hands with soap before AND after handling eggs, both the hatching and eating kind.

Back
Top Bottom