I thought I was done!!!!!

k625

Songster
12 Years
Aug 14, 2007
Florida
So...I thought I was all done after building my chicken "run". Ive already heard way too many bad raccoon stories and such. I need to put a small/medium box in there to put the chickens in at night. What size box can I use for 4 silkies. I inclued a picture of the now painted box I have for right now. The dimensions are 24" deep by 14" tall by 30" long. Please give any and all suggestions. I need as cheap as possible!!!

100_1364.jpg

100_1363.jpg

If that is what you got to work with, go for it. I would secure the door closed. Leaving a small opening where the drawer used to be for an entry way. (I assume you will be leaving it on its side????) If you can put it up higher, like on two cinder blocks on their sides, then you wont waste and of the coop square footage and they could sneak under it.

If you want to close them in at night, use that door front and hinge it back where it was and throw on a latch. Then you could secure them at night.

OK, this should be easy...... I would turn it over...I can see where there is a hole on the "top" letting in sunlight. Make that the bottom.....the hinges would then be on the top. Where the drawer used to be....get a small piece of hardware cloth...and secure it tightly. This will be good for ventilation. However....if it gets cold there in the winter...you might want to come up with something to cover that "drawer opening" Scrap wood would work great.
I would definately put a piece of hardware cloth over the hole, ( that is in the top of it now)
Put a latch on the door...so you can secure them in at night. Then get 4 cynder blocks, and make a foundation. This will keep it from getting wet in the rain, and gove the silkies something to hide under if scared...or just to get shade. Looks like this might just work out. Oh, if you do put it up on blocks...make sure they have a small ramp..to get into it. Maybe about a foot from the back...secure a roost. Have fun, be creative...and show us when you are done!!

Alrighty..thanks so much you guys. justusnak I used your idea, and so far is working out well. I had my friend over who has chickens and she said I need to drill holes (small) all over for better venting, otherwise I will have chicke nuggets. As you could see it has the hole on top, and the place where the drawer was that now has hardware cloth over, and I have drilled about 20 holes on either side. My friend said I need LOTS more...what is your opinon... I know its hot at ..... here in fl, but I dont want it to be too drafty. Let me know what you think please, b.c these little guys are going out friday night!! yay Thanks again all so so much!!

Back
Top Bottom