I thought I was teaching my rooster, but he thinks he was teaching me.

Lifestudent

Songster
7 Years
Mar 23, 2012
A while back I decided to see if I could get our Rhode Island Red rooster to eat from my hand like our hens do. I got a handful of bird seed and held it down where he could see it. At first he was a little hesitant, but he did eat some of the seed.

Now he's gotten to where if I enter the back yard without some bird seed in my hand he'll block my path. He's even hit me on the leg a few times. As soon as he sees me heading to the back door, though, he lets me pass. Every time I come out the back door he jumps up on some landscaping logs next to the door waiting for his bird seed.

Our Rhode Island Red hen goes a step further. If I don't get my hand down where she can eat from it she'll jump up and either try to get a bite of seed while in the air, or grab my hand or a finger to pull my hand down. Fortunately this doesn't hurt much, and I find it funny.

Today our rooster even let me reach out and stroke the underside of his neck. He and our hens are just over a year old, though we only got him a few months ago.

We bought some more baby chicks a couple months ago, and today I held some of their food in my hand and held it where they could see it. A couple of them came over and ate from my hand.

My wife and I are having a lot of fun raising chickens.

Back
Top Bottom