I thought she was eggbound?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SunnyDayz, Dec 28, 2012.

1. SunnyDayz

SunnyDayz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Sunny FL
    Last month I decided to add some light to the coop to increase egg production. We were getting 2-3 eggs from over a dozen layers... In a few weeks it increased to 8-9 a day. Good deal right?!
    Well then I had two hens go broody and another appeared to be eggbound. She is almost 3, comet-sex link mix and hasn't laid for over 6 months. She was visiting the nest box repeatedly with droopy tail, whitish yellow discharge from vent and very lethargic.
    I turned the light off and moved her yo a dog crate in the coop with a cover and lots of shavings for comfort. I've given her extra calcium too. Well that was sits two weeks ago! She has really perked up and is eating and drinking a lot. She is still in the crate but wants to get out. She is still dragging her bottom terribly though do I only let her out for treat time and then put her back in...

Any ideas in what her issue is? Is if possible to be eggbound for so long? None if the other chickens have any symptoms.
    Thank you!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  2. SunnyDayz

Apr 9, 2010
    Sunny FL
    Sorry for all of my typos... Getting used to typing on my phone ;)

3. SunnyDayz

Apr 9, 2010
    Sunny FL
    I should add that no egg has come out of her yet...

4. SunnyDayz

Apr 9, 2010
    Sunny FL
    Any ideas? Could it be possible that she was eggbound with a soft egg that passed without me knowing?
    Can adding light (I had it set to add 2 extra hours of light per day) cause a hen to become egg bound?

5. Druantai

Druantai Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    If she's eggbound, you should be able to pick her up and feel the mass she is trying to pass. Put a little Apple cider vineger in her water, about a tablespoon in a gallon, it will help clear he digestive tract. Since it's been weeks since then, she is most likely not eggbound. If you do feel the mass, you should soak her bum in some warm water, dry her off, and then message her bum a little, she will pass the egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by