I thought they don't lay at night? (weird behavior)

babsh

Songster
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
Minnesota
Tonight, (8:30pm) we were watching the chickens and noticed one of our silkies in the run, looking strange. She was just standing their, in a weird position. She looked like she was constipated and trying to poop. After a few minutes, and egg plops out. She immediately, turned around, pecked it open and began eating it. She didn't get much though, as another hen grabbed it and finished it off.

1. I thought chickens don't lay eggs at night. It happened about 30 minutes b4 sunset.

2. Why would she have done this? I've NEVER seen an egg in the run.

3. Do you think she is making this a habit without me knowing? The way she immediately pecked the egg open made it seem like she's done this before.

Time to cull her. Obviously it's happened before and she may be getting more than her own eggs.

I'm thinking I have an egg eater in my group.

I agree that it sounds like she knew what she was doing - as in, she's done it before.
Chickens lay all day long. I've had hens on the nestbox after dark, left them there and found their egg in the morning.

I've had trouble with egg eating before, and have stopped it without culling. That being said, my chickens are pets that lay eggs, not "farm animals" to me. Depending on how you think of your animals, you may want to try to intervene and stop the behavior before it spreads to other hens, or you may just cull her. Here are the other posts I've written about this topic, and my experience with it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=173726
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=174908

I used to just lurk on the site until I read a post about egg eating and decided to join the forum so that I could share my experience with the poster, as several people said to cull without mentioning that isn't the only way to go. But it depends on how you view your chickens. No judgement either way
smile.png
good luck

1. I thought chickens don't lay eggs at night. It happened about 30 minutes b4 sunset.

Time doesn't really matter. Technically they can lay more than 1 egg per day, if the day length is defined as 24 hours.

2. Why would she have done this? I've NEVER seen an egg in the run.

Frustrated maybe, lacking calcium/protein/fat, and eggs are just tasty to chickens.

3. Do you think she is making this a habit without me knowing? The way she immediately pecked the egg open made it seem like she's done this before.

I think she has done this before, mine used to peck immediately too like they knew it was a yummy treat waiting to happen.​

my uncle had an egg eater and he would take a egg break it on the ground and let the chickens basicly slobber over it and he squirted mustard on the egg and the chickens got one bit of that they didnt eat another egg again i can tell you that he says chickens really dont like mustard so if i have a problem with egg eaters im turning to mustard

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.

Our chickens are pets and though I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to getting rid of her, my kids would be very upset. So, I guess I'll try out some ideas. We cannot keep the pop door open though, because our run is not secure. They'd be too vulnerable. Plus, she laid her egg out in the run. Whatever her issue it, I don't think it's from being "cooped" up.

I am thinking that I will try separating her. I have a spare ark I've been using for my broody. If I put her in that for awhile, i can at least be sure she is regularly eating her own eggs. Plus it will keep the others away from her so they don't get any ideas. And I can try golf balls and mustard. : )

Back
Top Bottom