I thought they were girls, but now I think they're boys. Help!

At that age i would guess hens. My girls have both larger and redder combs and wattles than that and they are eight months, not much older than yours. The reddening of the combs and wattles just means they are getting ready to lay.

if you need to give a rooster away, i need one! mine got eaten thankgiving- a very fat opossum had a great dinner! mine are almost 2 months old so i dont want a full grown rooster till they are bigger. im down to 2 now (out of 4). so if you are lookiing for a good home and are giving them away i can take him.

Quote:
Normally, I would agree with that but in this case its really iffy.
smile.png

If they're boys it could take awhile for the hackle/saddle feathers to show up if they're developing slowly. If they're girls and they're that red they should be laying or very close to it. You can feel their pubic bones just under their vent. If the cartilage between them it tight and hard they're probably boys..but if you can fit 1-3 fingers in between and the cartilage feels pliable, they're girls getting ready to lay. The wider the space between the pubic bones the closer they are to laying.

Last edited:
Those are most definitely roosters. They have the typical male feather color for a buff bird. Girls will be a consistent blonde, boys get red on their wings. Here's my buff roo for comparison
86165_070711102327.jpg

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I took some new pics, unfortunatly its another lovely cloudy/rainy day here in the Hudson Valley so they don't look as bright as they should and the battery in my camera died after I took the pic of "Becky", so the ones of "Alfre" are from my phone. Oh and Hokankai, thank you very much for that suggestion, I'll try that when I go back down in a little bit.

Okay, this is "Becky", out of the pen, not where s/he doesn't belong, the redder of the 2. S/he looks a lot like a boy in this pic, but I stared at her for a while when I was down there and s/he didn't look nearly as much like a boy. The other bird in the pic is the bird from the same father, but her mom is what I was told was a Speckled Sussex, she's about 1 1/2 months older than Becky and Alfre.

66419_beck_early.jpg

These 2 are both "Alfre", who after staring a bit at I've come to the conclusion is most likely an "Alfred". The bumps where the spurs would be are bigger than they were yesterday and s/he was looking a lot like her/his daddy in the face today.

66419_alfre_4.jpg

66419_alfre_5.jpg

This last pic is of their dad, Hercales, just to give a referance as to why I'm confused as to their gender, since he was such a massive bird.

66419_hercales_2.jpg

Last edited:
Both are roosters, you can see the darker wing coloration like in their daddy. They are starting to get pointed saddle(back) and hackle(neck) feathers too. Compare them to their daddy, you will start to see the likeness.

Yeah, I was just compairing the pics, they are their daddy's boys. I think I've known it for a while, I just wanted confirmation. They just looked like girls for so long, then it was like over night their saddles and hackles changed as did their combs, waddles, beaks and eyes and they doubled in size. Right now they're crowless and they're very docile, which thier father was at first, but after the 1st of 2 coyote attacks he started becoming nasty towards me (just me, everyone else was okay). After the 2nd attack, which left me with only him and 1 hen he decided he hated me to the point that I couldn't step out of the house with out getting attacked by him. I got him more ladies, but it didn't help so he eventually went to live with a guy down the road, where I guess he recently lost a fight with a hawk. If these 2 stay nice and don't get beat up by my other boys I'll keep them. Now I'm crossing my fingers that they take after their daddy in looks alone!

Last edited:
Quote:
Hey there thanks for posting the new pictures, I'm more sure now as is with most that those are young slow growing boys, I hope they stay nice for ya! and let us know if they decide to change in mid-stride and decide to lay instead, Highly unlikely but their a couple of big ole tricksters, those two. Best of luck to ya, Sandy!
I had a silkie Roo that was meaner than sin itself but his 2 boys are almost full grown now and just as sweet and respectful as they get so your boys could turn out really sweet boys I hope so.
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom