I thought they were girls, but now I think they're boys. Help!

SweetInsanity

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 26, 2010
New York
I have 2 Buff Orpington crosses that I hateched out mid May, so they're about 6 1/2 months old. At first I thought they were girls, but over the last month or so they're really started to look like boys. I'm going to try to post pics of them, I'm a little new here and I'm not really sure how to do it. The Daddy was a huge Buff Orp, and these "girls" are getting quite large as are their combs and waddles, but I keep hoping they're just taking after their daddy. I'll have 5, possibly 6 roosters (not sure if my one Dorking is a rooster or not) if these are boys, which means I'll have too many rooster and not enough hens and have to get rid of these 2, the other roosters are for breeding. Neither of them are crowing, my other boys were all crowing by this age, which is what keeps me hoping they're girls. They both have bumps on their rather large legs though where spurs would be, but I have a few hens that do too. They're mom's were both sex links, so I'm not sure if you cross a sex link with a regular chicken if you'll get boyish looking girls, I've never had sex links before. Okay, first pic should be "Becky", "she's" the redder of the 2. She's crossed with a Golden Coment. This pic of her is about a month old, her comb and waddles are much larger now, she also has longer white tail feathers now that look very much like the tail feathers on my Java and Wyandotte boys. The second pic is of "Alfre", she's the blonder one. She's crossed with a Cinnamon Queen. Again, her waddles and comb are much larger than in the pic and she's getting those longer white tail feathers too, you can sort of see them in the pic. Sorry the pics aren't better, these 2 aren't a fan of having their picture taken and I have to feed them in hopes they'll stay still long enough for me to snap some kind of decent photo. What do you guys think? Are they boys or just very boyish looking girls. *Crossing fingers that they're girls.*

66419_becky_2.jpg

66419_alfre_2.jpg

Mmm, those legs and the red on the wings screams roos to me. At this point, just wait it out until you get crows or eggs. Although, my BO started laying at 5 months...

Quote:
The top chicken really looks Roo-ish But at 6 1/2 months they both are very slow developers . The bottom one could go either way, s/he isn't as shiny as the top one and her legs are smaller it seems. Can you check the hackle feathers on both of them and see if there pointy or not on the bottom picture they seem to be but it is hard to tell. Is there a way that you can post current pictures of them of the whole body profiles? Im leaning towards Roo on both of them but if one is a hen I think it would be the bottom picture,
Is the chicken that is behind the big Red one, the same mix and age as the Red one if it is I would say they are just very slow growing Roos.
Sheesh this is a toughy!
th.gif

The hackle feathers on the redder one are fairly pointed, the blonder one they're not pointed, but not round either. Both of their wing feathers are very shiney in the sun, the redder one actully looks like its on fire when its sunny, it was cloudy the day I took the pic of the blonder one. I tried to take better pics yesterday just b/c I wanted them for this post, I'll try again a little later, I have to run out for a few hours, I'll do it when I get back. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Top looks like a roo to me, bottom a hen. Poke around in the feathers in front of the tail and look for pointy new feathers. That would confirm roo. Let us know!

Oh, yes Stormlady, the one behind "Becky" is the same mix, well, the same dad, her mom was a Speckled Sussex, or so I was told, I don't really know what she was (I lost all the adult birds I had the begining of the year to a coyote) she looked, body shape wise, like the Speckled Sussex I have now except her legs and feet were bright yellow and she was black with kind of like gold lacing. Anyway, yes, that's "Early Bird" and she (I know she's a she) has the same daddy as Becky and Alfre.

Back
Top Bottom