I thought they were pretty so I bought them! What are they?

Quote:
And just a little note, PURE Clarets should be straight (single) combed if I remember correctly. Barely any birds are what they were now involving gamefowl, but I've never really seen a pure Claret come pea comb. With Asil (Aseel) crosses they should come pea comb, with no straight comb birds showing up since typically the Asil is a pea comb breed minus a few varieties of it that are very rare (only exist in their homeland, and from what I hear are not common there). If the straight comb gene shows up on first cross they would be a cross, since straight combs are recessive and both birds need the same gene to throw it if I remember correctly?

-Daniel.

ETA:Really they could be anything, your birds have white legs and a pea comb plus are spangle. So typically breeds that most match that- I would say Kelso. Butchers and Whitehackles are primarily straight comb birds. But at the same time, I have some Morgan whitehackle X Shelton Roundhead crosses and they look pretty much identical to those hens... And you could get the same results crossing whitehackle (or any spangle) over pretty much any pea combed bird.

Last edited:
55616_clairots_2.jpg

These were my three pure Clarets that I got forever and a day ago. Crooked Tail, the Rooster, Baldy and Frenchie. I also was given a speckled hen that looks like your girls and was told she was an Aceel[Acil] x Claret. There are just so many things that birds could be, and I was never really good at picking breeds out by looks without the help of my brother the game bird expert.

I know that my flock has grown to about 50 of these crossed birds, and very few are pure clarets in them if I even still have pure blood running through as the speckled hen always laid an egg a day and my girls went broody so often.

But your birds sure are pretty!

Back
Top Bottom