I thought this was an australorp but i may be an ameraucana. PICS

Quote:
YES.
roll.png

I am 100% sure that the bird in the picture is not an Australop. From the description you gave of your bird, I am 99% sure that she is an EE.

Ok well i am happy! i was really wanting another easter egger anyway. I am kinda confused on how the guy got the 2 breeds mixed up. He has a ton of chickens and is a science teacher and every year he hatches chicks from his flock. He said these were purebred black australorps. Maybe the other 3 he gave me that i gave away are australorps and somehow that little managed to be hatched and picked by me to keep. I picked her because she was the calmest and the biggest of her brothers and sisters.

She's probably technically an Olive Egger -- a cross between a brown egg layer, in this case an Australorp, and an EE. Some Australorps lay very light brown eggs though, so more of the green from the EE rather than a dark green is showing through on her eggs.

I have a solid black olive egger from a BAxEE cross and also have a solid blue from the same cross.

So, again, she's an Easter Egger. (Australorp x EE's are STILL Easter Eggers if they lay a colored egg)
wink.png

Olive Eggers are a cross of a dark egg layer and a colored egg layer, not a normal brown.

Quote:
Olive Eggers are crossed from CMs or Welsummers only. She is an EE.

According to whom? EEs and OEs are mutts there is no standard definition that excludes the use of brown egg layers other than those laying dark brown eggs from the breeding of OEs. The depth of brown egg color determines the depth of the olive egg color, but a light brown depth does not necessarily exclude the egg from being an Olive Egg. There are a number of BYCers who have, in fact, experimented with creating just that -- a light olive egg.

The bird could absolutely be a cross between a pure Ameraucana and an Australorp making it an EE. Generally breeders of pure Ameraucanas are not that irresponsible with their birds simply because of the rare nature of the birds themselves. That combined with the depth of color of the green is why I suspect it's a second generation brown egg cross, which by most standards people would consider an OE, not and EE. Semantics, at any rate, given that both are mutts without any real standard definition as to what is and is not acceptable to have crossed in.

So there you have it. She's a mutt.

Back
Top Bottom