I tilled my garden .. ha ha to all you snow folk..

Gee, your garden goes dormant?? Those of us just a few hours south don't ever do that....

Another poke back atcha.

We currently have (20) 4x4 boxes in our raised bed garden. Still have three more to build. Short list of what is in there now - Broccoli , Brussel sprouts, kale, kohl rabi, spinach, carrots, sugar snap peas, english peas, red and yellow beets, bibb lettuce, cabbage, leeks, four types of potatoes and one lone little yellow tomato plant that survived our five nights of hard freezes. Believe it or not, there are three boxes empty. We companion plant almost everything. We have one lone box outside the garden with asparagus and a lone grape vine. We had flooding this past year with Fay and learned some serious lessons on what should be where.

Currently in the seedling stage for our garden: Hawaian Pinapple tomato; Big Boy tomatoes; Victoria tomatoes; Chocolate bell peppers; fatali peppers, okra, eggplant (mixed varities), mixed bell peppers, bulgarian carrot pepper, Jamaican Hot Chocolate peppers, mammoth basil, purple basil, cilantro, and dill. Sweet corn seed is soaking today for planting tonight. Beans will go in next week.

We are working towards having the backyard for production and the front for mostly looks. We have a blueberry hedge with a heirloom bunching onion border and peppermint/spearmint groundcover with a lone surviving tobasco plant on the end. We put strawberries in the flower bed out front because of the ever hungry girls roaming the back yard. We have plantain and banana trees. We also have plans for two more huge raised beds. One will have my variegated lemon, the kefer lime and grape vines with herbs, garlic and standard onions. The second will be a mix of dwarf fruit trees and flowers - my secret garden.

Last edited:
smom - you have sandy soil like I do, what do you add to it? I just received my seeds in the mail and all I need is potting mix and I'll start my seedlings in a couple of weeks. Last year I got impatient and started the seeds too early and they were all leggy and flopping over before the weather was nice enough for me to put them in the greenhouse.

You lucky devil.

I was down your way in january just driving around. I am close by I am from Columbus Ga. I think I will put the tiller on the tractor today and maybe till some also we are 2 or 3 weeks behind on planting from you . I see we have crab apple leaves out already , the black berry briers are putting out green also, 1 sign I saw that looked a lot like spring-- the trout vine is blooming here so its getting close next week, I will put in 1 acre of corn first. then the rest will follow. in stages

We did ours yesterday....It our very first! I hope it'll produce!
DSC_0309.jpg

We planted:
potatoes
onions
black eyed peas
cucumber
squash
pumpkins
gourds
and corn

and in April we'll add okra, watermelon and cantaloupe

Lunachick.. well I am not sure what I am going to add to this.. mostly just organic fertilizers.. for this year.. we are starting a mulch pile.. there was actually a mulch pile in that area back near the fence.. it doesnt seem any different than the other areas..
idunno.gif
this is going to have to be one of those dump stuff in it year after year after year to get it really good stuff..

Wow I love that garden KDCRWS.. it is in a more open area than mine.. I have that big tree to contend with..

Ours is almost done too. Fenced in raised beds.... got some stuff growing already!!!

I have quite a bit going in the house to get us started including tomatoes... some broccoli... snap peas.... ect.

You can see us builting it at my gardening blog

http://fromseed.blogspot.com

You have to go back into the beginning of January to see the veggi garden getting fenced in to see it.

I'll post more updates later today!

Quote:
yuck tree roots!!!! In our little kitchen garden we had to take an ax to get the roots up! how was your space?

Back
Top Bottom