1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I tried to give my broody 1 week old chicks......

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cochinfan05, May 28, 2016.

1. cochinfan05

cochinfan05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    LaFargeville NY
    Last night I slipped 3 (1 week old) chicks under a hen that's been broody for at least a couple weeks. I went out to check on them this morning and found 2 of them outside the box and 1 happily adopted by another hen that has 2 (3 week old) chicks. I slipped the 2 back under the broody, but she isn't talking to them or really showing any interest for that matter. I'm wondering how long to wait before I take them back? Obviously they need to eat and drink.

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    If they were outside the box and she's showing no interest, she's not adopting those babies.

3. cochinfan05

cochinfan05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    LaFargeville NY
    Yup. When I went back out, 1 chick had been pecked on the head and was unconscious and the other was nowhere to be found. After a couple hours of searching I finally found it out in the yard. Both are now back in the brooder and the broody is locked out of the coop today in hopes of being "broke".
    On a much happier note, the third chick is still happily running around with the other broody with the older chicks. I'm not quite sure how they ended up together....but as long as everyone is happy I'll let them be!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by