I try to breed my rabbits but they keep attacking each other...help?

Some are just more aggressive, they can end up with small bites and fur flying, but if it isn't a major injury it's normal.
I have a very gentle young buck and an older experienced doe, but after getting beat up repeatedly by her and no babies for months they now have produced 2 very pretty litters and he has found more confidence and she has calmed down a lot. Sometimes rabbit personalities clash just like human ones do.

I have a little experience with American Chinchilla's. A couple of my bucks bite the back neck areas of their does. Some does are receptive to this type of behavior, the inexperienced does freak out....obviously not ready. 4-5 month old females seem a bit young for mating although that may vary from breed to breed. Some folks breed when they attain a specific weight. I notice that their mating games are a lot less aggressive if they have room to romp compared to being stuffed in a small cage. I must say, when they are the most aggressive at times is when they accomplish the task.

I made the mistake of putting two buck's together in a pen and it was quite shocking. I found out they will try to castrate one another. I had to test out the younger buck after he healed from a very close bite...seems like everything remained in tact.

I am trying to breed my rabbits to but they do the same thing but the girl attacked the boy and now even if i hold the girl from attacking him he attacks her so they really dont like eachother what do i do? i think the buck may be to young to breed he is 8 month old?

I have a young female rabbit who I would like to breed. I got a buck who had been living in the wild for a few months and put her in with him. The first time they got in a fight and he bit her back. I tried again after 5 weeks of having their cages right next to eachother to get them used to each other but they fought again and he bit her near the same spot. Should I just stop trying and get a new buck or is there something I can do to make them breed?

The buck sounds like an aggressive breeder, our last litter we butchered had one buck in it. He was four months old and I was having a hard time getting a doe to lift for our regular buck so I put her in with him. I was amazed at how he bit her as he was attempting a breeding. Your doe sounds too young. If she is a medium-large breed she should not be bred until 7-8 pounds of weight, regardless of age. Give her some time. I just bred my young doe who is 8 pounds and 7 months old, she was unreceptive last month but did well this time.

The thing that happens when I put them in is, they sniff noses, lick their noses, and one charges for the other. There's fur flying and my doe ends up with cuts and bites on her back. She's about 4 pounds so she might be too young. She's also half dwarf, and the male is a cross between 2 big meat rabbits so I should find her a smaller buck. Thanks for the help you guys!

4-5 months is a bit young. Especially for the larger breeds. I have Mini lops , Mini rex and satins. I wait till they are six months old to breed them the first time. on rare occasions I will breed a 5 month old if I think she looks/acts ready, but if she doesn't want anything to do with him my guess is shes not ready.

The larger breeds I would wait till 8 months if you want a long term breeding. Then when the babies are 6 weeks breed again.

frow.gif

Thanks for your help you guys. I got a Netherland Dwarf Buck who is her same age. I'll wait until they're 8 months old then breed them :) I put them together just to see if they hated eachother and they were so good together :) This is a good pair :)

Last edited:
The thing that happens when I put them in is, they sniff noses, lick their noses, and one charges for the other. There's fur flying and my doe ends up with cuts and bites on her back. She's about 4 pounds so she might be too young. She's also half dwarf, and the male is a cross between 2 big meat rabbits so I should find her a smaller buck. Thanks for the help you guys!

Do not breed rabbits that are more than a lb apart. You'll just kill your doe.

Back
Top Bottom