I understand that Muschovy Ducks are "Mean"

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Swbuda, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Swbuda

Swbuda Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Temple TeXas
    and will attack people.. Is this true?? I like the fact that I hear they are 'good brooders' and parents. I don't think they are that ugly.. Would a female get along with Pekins? Where do you get them as young ducks? Thanks All..

2. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    I don't own any but all i've head that they can be real sweethearts.

3. keyt1969

keyt1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are awesome! They have never once been mean to me!! The only problem is if I'm feeding snacks, the drake will bite any other duck near him to get at the treat first. Other than that, they are very sweet, especially the hen. Comical too. They live with Pekins, Cayugas, Runners, Swedish and even 4 little calls. They get along with everyone. There are 22 ducks all together and they all sleep in the same coop with no problems!

[​IMG]
    Penguin with his two ladies, Penny and Sally

4. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Mine have awesome personalities, are very funny and just so sweet. Not mean at all, never attacked anybody..
    The only time my girl got angry was when a three year old was brought over and started chasing her ducklings. Other than that they're both the biggest people ducks!
    They co-exist easily with other ducks and mine used to live with six other chooks.
    I hand raise mine from out of the egg, but my original girl Charlotte I got at about 4-5 weeks and hand raised from there. She turned out great, can pick her up etc. Even if you don't hand raise them they get used to you and become pretty tame

5. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Mean? Mine didn't get that memo. [​IMG]

6. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I just have two one week olds...nope...they aren't mean [​IMG]
    Seriously though,I have not heard of them being any meaner than any other duck can be.I think in Holderreads book he states because of the TOENAILS he wears long sleeves and gloves to protect from scratches when having to handle scovies.I'll probably just get scratched [​IMG]

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Hmm when i researched ducks, the term 'mean' never came up related to a muscovy? Ours are not, there 5wks tomorrow... now there claws can be mean, one should never handle one without protection as there legs/feet moving could leave you terribly scratched up.

8. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    ours aren't really mean, but they are temperamental with the chickens and they don't like other ducks. It may be though we bought them as adults and I don't know what their background was.

9. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I don't think tame, domestic muscovies are mean at all. Now, the feral ones can get nasty sometimes, especially around breeding season in some areas. And, I've heard of instances where feral muscovies have attacked people's pets when they go into people's yards, but it's very rare. If you get some that are tame and used to being around people and other ducks, they're really sweet! But, like Keyt said, they can get a little grumpy towards other ducks when they are competing for treats.

10. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Quote:You'd think that with the toenails! When people come over they practically cower in fear when they see my drake [​IMG] he has HUGE talons, but I cuddle him regularly and carry him everywhere with me, even just on small walks - yet to be harmed at all by his talons!
    Or maybe I'm just lucky? Either way, none of my drakes talons has caused a scratch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by