I,ve got nothing

kmsek

Songster
8 Years
Feb 3, 2011
N Fla
Day 22 no peeps or cheeps candled a few got dark eggs clear at bottom good air at top /some are small dark spots floating around(obviously dead)
sad.png
what should I do ???????

midget_farms

Crowing
13 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Dunlap Illinois
Try the water test on the ones that are dark. Float them in a glass of warm water. If you see them wobble or shake the chick is still kicking. If you see nothing. Chuck 'em out & try again.

Unfortunately it's pretty common to get chicks fully developed that never pip. Its not usually the entire batch though. Did you have a temp spike? That will do it quicker than a cold period.

kmsek

Songster
8 Years
Feb 3, 2011
N Fla
Quote:
Its possible this is a home ade bator fst time using it had some spikes early on but chicks were developing Idk i'll try water test how deep should it be ????

Gypsy07

Songster
9 Years
Feb 4, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Deep enough that an egg can bob around freely in it. A big pan is better than a glass.
Water at 99F, roughly the same temp that the egg is at in the bator...

kmsek

Songster
8 Years
Feb 3, 2011
N Fla
Ok I a dumb As!!!!!!!!!! water tested no movement water not deep enough got mad turn off bater left for 1 hr came home said I would see how far they dead ones devloped 1st one I opened was alive
he.gif
dumb as!!!!!!!I promptly brought rest in and cranked back up humidity good temp fine we"ll see I'm a dumb AS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

midget_farms

Crowing
13 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Dunlap Illinois
UUGGH!

Dont be too hard on yourself. Its your first try! My first try was in January & I did almost the exact same thing to 3! I candled & saw they were not developing & bang - 3 of the 10 I thought were duds were kickin'

It happens to us all.

Give it a couple of days. After that clean up & try again.

Its always hard when you wait for 3 weeks. I set 58 eggs in my first try (huge home made) and had 16 hatch. 10 were duds (see previous statement about 3 being alive) so 48. I didn't touch them again after the 3 I killed.

So 48 went into lock down. Problem was - I couldn't get the humidity up. Was stuck at 40% I learned just this week on my second hatch that I had too much airflow. In any case - the lack of humidity killed most of my chicks in the egg & several were shrink wrapped.

Of the 16 that hatched 1 fell in the bowl of water I added to try to bring up the humidity & drown while I was asleep. Tell me about it. That sucks!

So - I made some corrections & started again.

This hatch has gone much better. Live & learn.

kmsek

Songster
8 Years
Feb 3, 2011
N Fla
Thanks midget !!!! if i get 1 i'll consider it a success if that was the one I'll try again I also have 26 rrare breeds coming in Mon at post office so we wil have a lot of fuzzies but I still would like my ee/game and BR /games hatch
jumpy.gif

HHandbasket

The Chickeneer
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
El Dorado County, California
Oh, my Olga is an EE/game cross and is the BEST broody! She's flighty and not very warm and friendly, but she's got her own personality and is a really fun addition to our flock. I hope you enjoy your EE/game cross(es), as well.

kasey08

Aunt Kasey's Farm
9 Years
Mar 29, 2010
Scottsboro, AL
Yeah Ive done the same thing thought they was dead and opened one and it was alive
hit.gif
felt so bad about it. Then 2 hatched and my cat snuck in and eat them...

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom