i wanna get a second duckling!!

pekinrideaux123

In the Brooder
May 25, 2020
Moncton New Brunswick Canada
so we have our pekin duckling, rideaux, its 6 days old, and our friends have rideaux’s sibling, bino. they see eachother a good amount and the day before yestersay they spent the whole day together everything was okay, it was the first time they had seen eachother again after first getting picked up. They went nuts, they really did! but when it came to bed time, anytime bino would come take a drink or if they were grooming and pecked one another by accident, it started a small fight!:( it was nothing bad but im worried they might hurt eachother just pulling on their wings and feet and feathers!! anyway, any help would be appreciated on what we should do to maybe contain that because im worried if i got another duckling, it might not go so well...

Hopefully other Duck owners will chime in!

With chickens, adding another flock member will often help by changing the dynamics of the flock

so we have our pekin duckling, rideaux, its 6 days old, and our friends have rideaux’s sibling, bino. they see eachother a good amount and the day before yestersay they spent the whole day together everything was okay, it was the first time they had seen eachother again after first getting picked up. They went nuts, they really did! but when it came to bed time, anytime bino would come take a drink or if they were grooming and pecked one another by accident, it started a small fight!:( it was nothing bad but im worried they might hurt eachother just pulling on their wings and feet and feathers!! anyway, any help would be appreciated on what we should do to maybe contain that because im worried if i got another duckling, it might not go so well...
Here's my "single duck" story. About a year and a half ago, we rescued 10 chickens and a pekin duck that we were told was a male. He was still pretty young as were the chickens (all just turning one at the time) and by the end of last summer we were having problems with him chasing my hens down and trying to "do the deed" with them, lol. I would put him in time out in the coop for a bit and he would be fine for a while. This spring when we got more chicks, we decided to get him his own family and got a pekin and two rowan ducklings to be his ladies when they grew up. Well...come to find out, our sweet boy is actually a GIRL!!! She's almost three and has never laid a single egg. Apparently when a lone female duck is raised with a flock of chickens, they can believe they are a chicken as well but notice the growth and size difference and can lead them to believe they are a rooster!!! So yeah, we have a pretty confused Pekin over here, poor thing. Ducks can also get extremely depressed without a mate so unless you plan on taking it everywhere with you possibly for the next 15yrs, I would definitely get a mate & the sooner the better, lol! Best of luck!!

Back
Top Bottom