i want a broody hen!!!

Ugh, you can have one of mine......one has been broody CONTINUOUSLY since the begining of January, yes January!
he.gif
he.gif
She's not sitting on any eggs either. Another one of my buff orps has decided to go broody again, after taking a few weeks off. I have no roosters so no fertile eggs to hatch, & DH won't allow for any more chickens this year.
sad.png

I am hoping for a couple of broodies this spring. I have kept some Cochins around mainly for that purpose. I have three banty blues that spent most of last summer broody, only problem was they kept fighting over the nest and breaking or leaving "out" the eggs they were fighting over! I hope some of my standard Cochins will brood too, they can cover more eggs than the little banties.

New to chickens, got my first late last summer. My neighbor told me to leave the eggs in the box and I would get a broody. Is this true? I have left four boxes alone for a week now. The number of eggs per box ranges from 8 to 17 as of an hour ago. No one sits on them all the time, just to add another egg. Will this cause a broody or am I just waisting all the eggs? Any advice?

all of my hens are broody right now... sucks... but i'm also incubating eggs, so i might just throw some in with them... one is sitting on one egg and a bunch of plastic ones... LOL...

Back
Top Bottom