1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I want a light bulb that

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by erlibrd, Jan 29, 2011.

1. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    comes on slowly and goes off slowly like the sunrise and sunset.... anyone know where to get one? I know someone sells an alarm clock like this but light bulbs??[​IMG]

2. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Well go on slowly. I have a Florescent so it comes on gently then gets brighter. Not sure about getting one that will go off in reverse..

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The metal halide on my fish tank comes on slowly. I wouldn't use that on chickens, though. Some tanks have more than one light. They're set up with timers to have a dim light come on, then brighter light. The brighter light goes off first, then the dim light. You could do that if you really wanted to, with any type of bulb.

My chickens don't seem to have any trouble with the lights coming on and turning off. They seem to get the hang of the lighting schedule. My coop is only dimly lit, anyway. Plus in the evenings, they can see through the windows that it's dark and often go to roost early, even with the light on in the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by