i want a roo, but no cokckadoodledoo

andy

Songster
12 Years
May 7, 2007
grimsby,,,{England}
hi there im not sure if im in the right topic here but never mind,,,any way as a few might know ive got a 7 week old orp buff roo,, and i would like to keep him,,but i cant have him crowing in the early morning,,hes ok in the day when every bodys up,i dont want to caponize him,,has any body got any good ideas to help,,,
thanks

My roo likes to snuggle with his girls inside a wooden packing box in the coop, even though there is a lot of room outside the box!
I drape a blanket over the box so they cant see out! in summer I put a lightweight sheet instead.
Have you thought about putting him into a cage at night next to the others which is not high enough for him to arch his neck to crow, it works for most roos!
good luck
Helen

rrrrr,,,so if they cant stretch there necks they cant crow,,never knew that,,ive got a dog cage that my chicks are in at the minute, its about 65 cm high,,its pain in the bum to clean out tho

What about simply getting rid of the rooster? It seems unless one can't bring him inside the home (as one poster said they do), it's kind of cruel to keep a rooster from doing what it does. What...it's okay now to cage a rooster to keep it from crowing, but not okay to keep a hen caged, fed, watered, and laying eggs and then slaughter? Can't have it both ways, as I see it.

they didnt say they did,,and im not doing it,,so what ya starting an argument for,, and even if we did do that, its not even close to as cruel as caged hens,the rooster would only be in it at roosting time, and free ranging all day with the girls,,singing his little heart out,,

Andy,
it never seemed you had cruel intentions as insinuated. You obviously take good care of your birds from all your post and pictures on this site. ANd its not that easy to get rid of a rooster.

Anyway, I had also read that keeping the light from coming in will cut down on crowing. My girls (and one boys) bantams are in a mostly light proof coop. Im hoping that will cut down on the early morning crowing. Once we hit a "reasonable" hour, he can make some noise!

Good luck. I hope you can keep him.

Just wait - none of my BO's are crowing yet (18 weeks) -
fl.gif

Does bromide work for chickens as well?
old.gif

caponizeing equipment is sold by McMurray's. Keep in mind that if that is to work it must be done at a young age 2-4months. preferably closer to 2. There also is no guarantee that it wont crow, though chances are a lot less.

caponizeing also changes the appearance and the behavior of roosters so , for now, you might be better off finding him a good place to live.

Back
Top Bottom