I want a silkieee!! hehe

We were given 14 Adult Silkies. ADORABLE. Now we have 22. No other breed. Silkies have personality and are very friendly. Regards, Aria

Thanks for all the replies everyone!! I really appreciate the opinions!
smile.png

I have been searching and searching to try an find silkie chicks BUT can only find eggs.
hmm.png

I dont have a broody hen or a incubator soooo thats what my only hold back with getting me some is.....

Anyone know where I can get some?
hmm.png

I personally wouldn't get a silkie if I already had an established flock that are almost matured. I know from experience how bad a silkie can get beat up if thrown into a flock that are much bigger and not as friendly. Just watch out! Hatchery silkies are a little tougher because their crests don't interfere with their vision.

Quote:
X2. Hatchery bred Silkies tend to be more active and tougher because they can see better and are quicker.

If you want one, have at it.
smile.png
They're neat birds. But honestly, there is no *easy* bird to integrate into a flock.

I definitely agree there is no easy breed to add into an already established flock although some breeds are stronger therefore are higher up into the pecking order. It may not be specific breeder its more of the personality. Some silkies are rough and are very strong. I know some barred rocks that are wimps also! Just keep an eye on the new silkie you get and you should be fine.

My silkies are kept seperate from the big girls,they would terrorize them and it would be horrible for the silkies.They can all see one another and they are in the same coop but all are seperated by fencing.

Show quality silkies sometimes have crests and beards so big and full that they cant see or defend themselves well.

I am contemplating adding Silkies to my chick order. I'm going to order with MyPetChicken.com and they have several colors of Silkie available. Maybe check them out for your chicks? But I'm really wanting egg layers... and it doesn't mention how they lay or how big their eggs are. But they are beautiful looking!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom