I want cattle

IDIOT HUSBAND

Songster
10 Years
May 6, 2009
Burgin, KY
My beutiful wife have just purchased 20 acres with a small house. We bought the chickens 18weeks ago, now I'm starting my cattle research. Which breed would best suit me best?
I'm thinking about holstein because you can puchase them cheaply, My children would love to bottle feed them. I'm not as interested in milking as much as I am the meat. any advice would be appreciated.
I only want between 4-10 head of cattle. That should be enough to fill every freezer in the family, twice. Thanks.
so sorry about the spelling.

Holsteins are bred for milk...so you're not going to get much meat from them at all.

Do NOT go with Angus. I'm sorry and I'm probably going to be bashed for this, but Angus are CRAZY.

LOL. Angus can be a little high strung.

Holsteins are cheap, but they're not cheap to bottle feed then raise for 24 months while you're waiting for them to reach market weight.

Do some research and look for characteristics that suit your individual situation. Herefords are a personal favorite of mine. They're pretty calm, good mothers, fatten well on pasture. And what's available locally?

I like the kind MCdonalds uses!
lol.png

Sorry:p

Our Angus bulls are actually quite sweet. Most all of our cows are crossbred with simmental background. Are you wanting cows or just calves to raise and then sell or butcher? If you're planning on having them year round you'll have to make sure you have feed for the winter.....even tho you're in kentucky and probably have a longer grazing season than we do. Holsteins as RoPo already said won't give you much meat compared to a beef breed.

My Husband and I have a cattle farm in Georgia. We raise Herefords. If you have children, I would recommend a Hereford because they are so gentle. Plus Hereford Beef is wonderful. We also have miniature Herefords, talk about fun to have around--they are pets. You are welcome to visit our website and look at the juniors with their show calves. Sometimes you can find a local breeder who has had an orphan calf and they will usually give it or sell it for very little.

Back
Top Bottom