I want more!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by txreddirtgirl, Jul 21, 2011.

1. txreddirtgirl

txreddirtgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Decatur, Tx
    I have 6, I want 4-6 more. [​IMG] The ones I want to get are the same age as my girls are now. Will the pecking order be established 'nicely'? How long do I need to keep them separated at first? Any suggestions?

2. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

You'll want to do the quarantine thing and then once you're sure they are disease free, then some say just put them in the coop at night and when they all wake up, the original flock will never know they are new, others say keep seperated but still be able to see each other for a few days or even weeks.

3. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    I'm going to be adding to our flock this September. The farmer didn't have any to sell earlier in the year (coyote attacks), but will have more about the same age as my current flock by then. The question is how many will you be adding, what age and what breeds?

Yes, quarrantine for 30days. Seperate house, seperate run, everything seperate and far enough away that they cannot sneeze/cough/poop upon other flock. Feed established flock first, THEN visit new flock - disinfect shoes - EVERY time! Different water containers, different feed containers - nothing should be the same between the two flocks!

After 30 days, some folks say put them together at night so they wake up together. Some say let them see one another for a few days, then introduce during free range time (so they're busy and distracted). However, all agree - they should be similar sized when introduced! (No introducing chicks to adults)

As the ones I'll be getting will be similar size (same breed - Black Javas), I'm crossing my fingers about introducing by the night-time method. I'm only planning on adding 2 or 3 maxium - to a flock of 6. So I'm hopeful it'll all work itself out. But I'm prepared to watch for a long while before I decide it's going to work.

It sounds like you'll be introducing one flock to another - so expect pecking order problems for at least a week (maybe more). Watch to make sure everyone has food and water, as well as putting in extra roosts and hiding places. I'd put out three times as many waterers and feed stations - just so no one has 'control' over one! And I'd rearrange their coop if possible or run if possible, so it's ALL new to everyone.

Good luck! Chicken math is fun, isn't it?!

4. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    After a month of my 10 - 11 week old chicks & my 3 - 9 week old & 2 - 7 week old chicks (confused you yet?[​IMG]) 2 weeks were separated by fencing in the run, slept in the brooder at night in the house (the 5 youngest ones). Then the last two weeks no separation & all in the coop together at night (the 5 sleep on the roost, the 10 puppy pile on the floor in the corner).

Some of the big & little girls are now eating together, the younger ones still get chased when treats are being given. But I am happy to say my girls are getting along.

It will take some time, but once they all figure out who is top chick, they should do well together.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. I would quarantine for at least 30 days. I put mine next to each other so they could look but not touch to let them get used to each other. When you do put them together there are many ways to do it. Some people try to slip them in at night. I have put mine together free ranging. At first I let the new birds out for awhile and then put them back into their run then let my original flock out. When I do put them together I put the news ones out in the yard first then I put my original flock out. One thing I think helps is to spread a lot of treats around the yard when you let the birds mingle the first time. There will be chasing and pecking as they still have to re-establish their new pecking order. Just stay close and maybe have a hose handy and if any get excessively aggressive. A blast from a hose works wonders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by