I want small chickens

key west chick

Songster
11 Years
May 31, 2008
Gainesville, GA
Ok, after the pity party I had this morning, I want a small breed of chicken. We love pickled eggs at our house and I want some little eggs to do them. I thought, quail eggs but I think they're to small. Would be cute though. So, I want a breed of chicken that lays eggs a little bigger than a quail. Breed must be cold-hardy. Our temps in the winter get below freezing frequently at night.Must be easy to incubate and be hardy chicks. I love the look of Seramas but read they are expensive and difficult to rear, same with silver Sebrights. I know I don't want Cochins. Any ideas on hardy breeds with tiny eggs?

I say any bantam that has a largefowl counterpart in the American class. Examples that are pretty common in bantams that lay well are the wyandottes, rocks, and RIR's. I am not sure about how well OEGB hens lay, they are really common, just not sure how well they lay.

Hands down, Old English Game Bantams win the prize. Very small, like 22 oz, easy to breed, good layers, very hearty. Had one the lived 14 years here in MN until a darn fox got it.

OEGB you'll have to dub the combs, though or they'll get frostbite.

I was going to suggest Sebrights b/c they lay small eggs and do not have single combs so better for the cold.

I might be wrong but I was under the impression that any chicken with a large single comb is susceptible to frostbite in extreme cold areas. I am also under the impression that dubbing the combs on the Old English Game is a custom for showing like docking dog's tails and ears rather than a frostbite preventative.

Coturnix quail! It takes 50 to a quart. They don't eat much. Make the cutest sounds! Lay large eggs for a quail. I have a nephew that asks for them whenever someone talks about eggs! LOL I used sweet pickle mix and added mustard; tastes like a deviled egg. I am allergic to soy and this is a great choice!

Back
Top Bottom