I want to be a vet. Do I NEED to take pre-cal in high school?

BUST YOUR BUTT and go ahead and take it. Vet school is harder to get into than med school! Crazy to think there may be doctors out there working on us that couldn't get into vet school....

Good luck realizing your dream and kudos to you for thinking about and working so hard on your goals!
thumbsup.gif

In order to be a vet, you will need to take a lot of chemistry classes, and you will not be able to understand the chemistry unless you have a very strong math background. So yes, take the pre-calculus. You will be taking calculus and analytic geometry in college and calculus is a bit difficult to get your head around the basic concepts, even if you are quite good at math.

You simply are not going to get into veterinary school with a liberal arts degree. You need a strong science education and that means a lot of math.

You should take all the math and sciences that you can. Most vet schools look at the sciences and math grades first. I was a prevet major and my best friend's son is a prevet major right now. They want you to have a high level of math and science going in. Most do not start with the basic math and science classes so you need to have that background when you get there. Most start with Calculus and Statistics as the first courses in the college program.

Good luck!

+1 on the calculus. You'll need it....along with all the other math and science classes you can fit into your schedule.

I know a couple vets that really wish they had better math skills.

-just $0.02 from a biomedical engineer

Everyone says either go talk to someone in the college or take the course.

I say take the course because you might have to apply to more than one college. Especially since you are trying to figure out the bare minimum of what you have to do to get in. You will be competing with people who are doing everything they can to get in. If this is what you really want then you need to do the pre-cal and take calculus if you can. Even if you never use it, harder high school classes will help teach you how to learn things on your own instead of being force fed them.

Yes. I would definitely take it in HS. You'll do much better taking it in college if you've already had an introduction to it in HS.

Believe it or not, KLA37 is right saying that getting into Vet school is just as hard or harder then getting into Med school in a lot of cases. For that reason alone you will want to do everything possible to stand out with the admissions office. Taking calculus is just one thing along with everything else you can possibly do to make a great impression. GOOD LUCK!!

Advanced Placement (with the test) or College High (offers college credit, often via local community college) classes are always a good idea. I took College High Biology, wound up with 3 college credits from Lane Community College, and managed to opt out of my college math/lab science requirement, which was AWESOME. I wish I'd taken the AP English test (took the class) so I could've done the same with my English Comp requirement.

In high school your teacher will be much more accessible, and help easier to find. College courses are larger, faster, and exponentially more difficult. Take it now, while it's free, while you know your teachers, while you can gain access to teachers for additional help/tutoring, and while you can maybe eke some free credits out of it. If you have to take it again in college, at least you've done it once and have a decent foundation. If you can test out, or advance more quickly, so much the better.

Isn't vet school a graduate degree (Masters) program? Specializing in biology and chemistry at the undergrad level (Bachelors Degree, 1st 4 years) is likely wise.

Back
Top Bottom