Vet is Stumped: Very Sick Runner Duck Advice Needed ASAP

Don't beat yourself up. Ducks hide ailments very very well and often don't show signs until it's causing them a great deal of pain or discomfort. Even the vet didn't know for sure what was going on and they're the professional on the matter. You took her to the vet when you noticed something was off and that's more then what a lot of people will do for their ducks. Your ducks are lucky to have someone who is willing to go the extra mile for them❤️
Exactly. Prey animals are driven by nature not to show signs of weakness because to do so is to flash a big neon sign that says, "Animal in Distress, Eat Me." You are not a horrible human being. You could not have seen what she did not reveal. And as soon as she could not hide her illness, you jumped on it and took heroic measures to try to save her when many another might have culled her instead. No, your courage and compassion are an inspiration. Give yourself credit, and celebrate her life. ❤️

No, you went well above and beyond, but sometimes they can't be saved. Things can go down hill really fast.

We spend around 1k on my hen with necrotic enteritis, but clearly, there'd been too much damage to her digestive system.

Perhaps the infection started somewhere unconventional which caused it to present oddly? I really am think this is likely more a fluke case where the cards just didn't line up in her favor.

No, you went well above and beyond, but sometimes they can't be saved. Things can go down hill really fast.

We spend around 1k on my hen with necrotic enteritis, but clearly, there'd been too much damage to her digestive system.

Perhaps the infection started somewhere unconventional which caused it to present oddly? I really am think this is likely more a fluke case where the cards just didn't line up in her favor.
When all was said and done we spent about $2500 to try to save her. We basically told the vet to do whatever they could and they did but it wasn't enough. I am not sure if the egg yolk coelomitis started it or if that was a secondary thing that happened because of the necrotic enteritis. I feel like total poop though. Heartbroken all over again and still blaming myself. I guess I had hoped the results of the necropsy would have said she had some come of congenital issue, but these results just leave me questioning every single thing I do. I miss that darn duck so much.

When all was said and done we spent about $2500 to try to save her. We basically told the vet to do whatever they could and they did but it wasn't enough. I am not sure if the egg yolk coelomitis started it or if that was a secondary thing that happened because of the necrotic enteritis. I feel like total poop though. Heartbroken all over again and still blaming myself. I guess I had hoped the results of the necropsy would have said she had some come of congenital issue, but these results just leave me questioning every single thing I do. I miss that darn duck so much.
I know that feeling. Had it when my bearded dragon got egg yolk peritonitis - found out about a year later, it was from a breeder prioritizing color over health and that all their girls have the issue when coming into lay and none of the breeders I've spoken to have gotten one to live past 5, so it really is out of your hands sometimes. You gave her the best life you could and I doubt catching it earlier would have made much of a difference.

Hello, I am very sorry to hear about your duck. I just had one pass away suddenly about a month ago. Which has sent me on a mission to learn as much as possible about avian medicine. In my textbooks, they talk about cases of necrotic nodules on the intestines. (necrotic enteritis). This is in the section of bacterial infections. Many species of Enterobacteriaceae. If your still looking for answers, I will look deeper into the types of bacterial infections that match your story. Just let me know.

Back
Top Bottom