1. Decide on a breed or a couple breeds (I'd say keep it under 5 different ones, preferably 3-4 max)
2. Find a breeder that has these birds and learn everything you can from them. Have them show you what to look for, how they pair their birds together, etc.
3. Buy some birds. Preferably from a breeder that has high quality birds that has birds that have been shown and won (wether by them or the people the bird was sold to)
4. See if the breeder will help you for the first year so you can learn the ropes.
5. Find shows that have your breed being exhibited. Pay close attention to the judges. Talk to the judge later if you can. Make notes about the birds that won.
6. You'll need pens for individual breeds or even small pens so you can breed specific roosters to specific hens.
7. You'll also need incubators.