I want to breed Chocolate colored Silkies! where do I start? Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Liexicof15, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Liexicof15

Liexicof15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Tampa
    I think the chocolate color is beautiful on birds and I love silkies, so I thought I would combine the two. Anyone know where to start? I heard they do it in Holland, but I can't find anything online. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. fluffychickens

fluffychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Missouri
    You might try posting on the Genetics thread but I think the main problem with creating a chocolate Silkie is that the white in Silkies is recessive white. To get to chocolate, you need to add dominant white. I'd go to a feather legged breed with dominant white but right off the top of my head I can't think of one. I've mainly worked with Silkies.

3. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    If you want chocolate/dun and khaki, you need to cross in a Polish or other bird with that color. Dun is an allele of dominant white, and it works similar to the blue gene. Use either gender black Silkie and a dun or khaki bird of another breed. If you use a khaki, all offspring should be dun/choc. Only Seramas naturally carry the sex-link recessive chocolate. In this case, black Silkie hens with a choc roo will give you faster results; all pullets will be choc and all cockerels carry the gene.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by