i want to build a chicken run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by omartorres, Nov 14, 2011.

1. omartorres

omartorres Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2011
    Hello, i have 6 bb bantams and i want to build them a chicken run i need some ideas, if i cant build one i would probably buy a dog run or something.[​IMG]

2. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
  3. Trish44

Trish44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Winfield, KS
    Just make sure if you use a dog run that you put hardware cloth around the bottom 3 ft up or so attached to the chain link well & cover the top of the run. Otherwise you're inviting things to come & eat your chickens while they're in there. I had my hens in a dog run temporarily until we got our coop & run done & a raccoon reached through the chain link & pulled a hen through & ate off her head. Then later on I had young guineas in there & had put chicken wire around the bottom with fencing over the top & a 'possum still got in & ate 6 of my guineas. So that is a lesson on making sure things are secure that I learned the hard way.

4. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

We've just finished building our fourth coop and run (the last one!! I promise!)...for each run we've used a dog kennel/run; as mentioned, covered the bottom three feet with hardware cloth; covered the top also with hardware cloth and electric pipe.

Our first coop/run:

[​IMG]

The second one (for bantams)...

[​IMG]

Gail

5. OC closet chicken fan

OC closet chicken fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    so. cal orange county
    georgiagail... wow [​IMG]... clean, simple yet secure

6. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

If I push for one more coop and run, I get to live in it!

Gail

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by