I want to buy some bulk grains at the grocery store for this winter.

I use spinach and carrots to supplement the calcium along with oyster shell... carrots have 4x the calcium of a glass of milk (for example, not that I give milk to chickens...) and spinach has 10x... good stuff, and they like it.

They DO like those things. =) They also like milk and a lot of people feed it. In the old days, chickens got a LOT of milk.

We basically grow our own feed and let the birds have at it when its ready saves us months of feed bills. The birds start on onions and beets in early summer then oats, barley and wheat. Sunflower follow for about a month and now they are working on the corn,millet and anything left in the garden. Through the winter we feed whole oats and rolled barley with all the table scraps they can get before the dogs find them. The birds really go nuts over fish that we give to them also I see them running around with mice. We free range the birds so in reality we only feed from mid November till the end of March.

I am raising mealworms, and make yogurt almost daily by the gallon. Starting fermented feed too! there's a huge amount of info here that's just amazing. check out the "feeding your flock" section, lots of wonderful info! I use about 50lbs of feed a week with everything we have...geese, ducks, guineas, laying chickens, meaties (CX), pigs, Alpaca and cows any day lol... (when my DH wants to make the trip to get them!) The grocery stores are killing my budget.. there will be a huge garden started this coming spring. I keep looking at the sign next to our property... 40 acres that's been for sale about 11 years now...
hmmmmm...

I've been feeding my chickens and peas a combination treat of dry cat food (for molt), black sun flower seeds and some of my horse feed.
They love it. It has an assortment of grains and alfalfa pellets. There is never anything left on the ground.
We get it from our local co-op, mixed fresh each week.

We basically grow our own feed and let the birds have at it when its ready saves us months of feed bills. The birds start on onions and beets in early summer then oats, barley and wheat. Sunflower follow for about a month and now they are working on the corn,millet and anything left in the garden. Through the winter we feed whole oats and rolled barley with all the table scraps they can get before the dogs find them. The birds really go nuts over fish that we give to them also I see them running around with mice. We free range the birds so in reality we only feed from mid November till the end of March.
Ah, love a story like this! This is precisely as it should be, and as it always was before family farms were forced not to exist because of factory farms. Your flock is incredibly lucky, cracked egg!!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I am raising mealworms, and make yogurt almost daily by the gallon. Starting fermented feed too! there's a huge amount of info here that's just amazing. check out the "feeding your flock" section, lots of wonderful info! I use about 50lbs of feed a week with everything we have...geese, ducks, guineas, laying chickens, meaties (CX), pigs, Alpaca and cows any day lol... (when my DH wants to make the trip to get them!) The grocery stores are killing my budget.. there will be a huge garden started this coming spring. I keep looking at the sign next to our property... 40 acres that's been for sale about 11 years now...
hmmmmm...
The pasture our chickens are on belongs to our neighbors; they said we could put them out there. I've asked several times if they would consider selling (they sold the herd that was on it 15 years ago) but they keep saying no. They're afraid we'll build houses on it. I have told him we'll put a no development clause in the contract, but he still says no. =( I would so love to build a little barn, keep chickens, ducks, turkeys, pigs... Maybe if I can get a cash down payment together and hold it in front of his nose, he'll bite. Or maybe I'll hold it in front of his wife's nose--she likes to shop!! =D

Back
Top Bottom