I want to buy some bulk grains at the grocery store for this winter.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by blondiebee181, Oct 20, 2012.

1. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I kind of equate it to making my own chicken scratch....WinCo here in Boise sells a lot of bulk grains but there are so many different cuts and mixes, I wasn't sure what to get. They have whole dried peas, whole corn, cracked corn, barley, flax rolled oats, whole oats, tons of stuff....can chickens pretty much digest any form of grain? Or am I looking for some specific types?

2. blondiebee181

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Anyone?

3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Do you just want to feed it to them straight or do you want to sprout it?

4. blondiebee181

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    See? I'm not sure...I don't even know it the stuff from the store will sprout or if I need to buy garden store grade seeds....but when I initially posted this I was looking for advice on feeding them unsprouted stuff...if that helps

5. ChickensRDinos

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    If you are just going to feed it to them straight then pearled or rolled is fine. Anything "whole" has a little more nutrition in it but is harder to find depending on where you live. If you want to germinate or sprout then the pearled barley and the rolled oats will not sprout. It has to be whole.

They can digest all of the things you mentioned. (stay away from any raw beans or legumes - cooked is fine but raw is bad for them). Flax seeds are great and black oil sunflower seeds are really nutritious. Corn is higher is fat but that's not necessarily bad depending on what you want.

I just recently started sprouting grains for fodder. I am playing around with what I want to do and what I can find locally. (I live in a very urban area so I am struggling to find things) But I am trying out whole barley, wheat, whole oats and BOSS.

Here is the link that got me started if you are interested. Once you get everything set up it seems like it could be the most nutrition for your buck if you are already planning on buying the grains.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/713334/growing-fodder-for-chickens

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
    2 people like this.
  6. blondiebee181

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Wow, that's great! Very informative thead, now I want to do it! Do the seeds need any soil? Ir they just sprout and root without it?

7. ChickensRDinos

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    They do not need soil, just water. I am just getting started and its pretty fun!

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: NEVER feed "SEED" to your birds.
    It's often treated with pesticides and fungicides.

Any WHOLE grains from the grocery store should sprout or grow, and can be fed with no problems

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  10. angidee

angidee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2010
    Washington
    Why are lentils and legumes bad? Peas are legumes, right? Are they ok if sprouted?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by