I want to buy this chicken coop, is it good?

The coop is cute, but I agree about the run space. Mine are in a relatively small coop (Omlet Eglu Cube), but I have a large attached run and live in a mild climate. So they don't need to hang out in the coop much at all. Your chickens will want to roam and do chicken things!

Definitely on the small side, even for just 2. Especially in the run section, which results in a ramp that's frankly too steep. Even as a tractor I'd highly suggest you extend out the run section and greatly reduce the angle of the ramp.

Also why does it have 3 nest boxes? I don't understand why things get built this way.

Also hard to tell, but which of those windows are actually open for ventilation, and which are plexi/glass? I assume the rectangular slot in pic 2 that's covered is a vent? What about the long rectangular window in pic 1, is that open for ventilation? If not, you should consider punching those open and covering the openings with hardware cloth, or a louvered cover.

Recommend against. The builder did a nice job prettying it up on the outside. Should have spent more time on these forums designing the inside.

Its too small. Might fit a pair of bantams. Even then, problems.

In addition to the things I marked, chickens tend to like darker, more "secure" feeling places to nest -that has fixed windows on either side, and looks at a third...

all the things tacked to the floor, plus the heights of the doors relative to the floor means cleaning it out, particularly corners, will be a pain. You will be using a garden trowel, not a quick rakings.

From the outside, looks like there are long rectangular boxes at the base of the house? Guessing someone thought it a good idea to put potted plants there, or grasses in a planter. That's the likely source of persistent moisture which shows as water damage and mold? (green discoloration) at the left and right sides of the picture.

Finally, I'd need to take measurements, but a tall bird sitting on that roost might well be close to the draft that likely forms between your eave vents.

1607737018033.png

What I do not really like is the steepness up to the roosting box and how close the end of it is to the wire. But maybe a little on the small size.
As for food and water, down in the run area I would think is best.

Hi everyone, im new to backyard chickens and was thinking of buying this chicken coop tractor. I was planning to put two standard sized chickens in it (orpington and australorp). Would this coop be adequate for them? Thank you for any help, pictures and dimensions are below.
dimensions: 31 '' x 31 ''
View attachment 2445458View attachment 2445459View attachment 2445460View attachment 2445461View attachment 2445463
First off, too small for even one.
Second, you need at least three for a flock.

Back
Top Bottom