I want to buy this chicken coop, is it good?

Orpington-Lover

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2020
Hi everyone, im new to backyard chickens and was thinking of buying this chicken coop tractor. I was planning to put two standard sized chickens in it (orpington and australorp). Would this coop be adequate for them? Thank you for any help, pictures and dimensions are below.
dimensions: 31 '' x 31 ''
coop pic 1.jpg
coop pic 2.jpg
coop pic 3.jpg
coop pic 4.jpg
coop pic 5.jpg

Welcome to BYC!!! If you are only keeping two chickens in it, it has enough room for now to keep them happy. However, chickens are addictive and you will probably find yourself getting more! Are you planning on free ranging, or will they be kept in the tractor coop at all times? It’s definitely an adorable coop, but looks can be deceiving.

thank you for the response, I'm looking to keep them in the tractor coop at all times, unless I am out there and I get to watch them free range. But I will not let them free range unattended all day.

I am aware of the "chicken math" many people suffer lol. But I just want to stick with two chickens ( I pre-ordered them from a hatchery) and have a small egg laying operation. I really have no desire to get more than that.

It's really cute!
But! I personally would consider that too small for even just one chicken.
Ideally, you should have at least 5 Sq feet per chicken. you will be keeping them in the run a lot more than you plan on, trust me.

thank you for the response, I'm looking to keep them in the tractor coop at all times, unless I am out there and I get to watch them free range. But I will not let them free range unattended all day.

I am aware of the "chicken math" many people suffer lol. But I just want to stick with two chickens ( I pre-ordered them from a hatchery) and have a small egg laying operation. I really have no desire to get more than that.
Welcome, it is a charming well built coop, especially if you live in the suburbs where your allowed to keep a couple hens. If you can, maybe you should buy or build an attached run for the coop and give them more wing space. But in all I am sure this coop will comfortably hold two large breeds like an orpington and australorp (both breeds handle confinement well). Good luck on your journey, please post photos of your girls in the coop!

@aart
@sourland
@chrissynemetz
@drumstick diva

I would say that the tractor coop you are looking at will work well for them then. I know some people who have kept more birds then two in a coop that size at one time (which can be unhealthy). I’d say your two hens will enjoy their living space! Good luck!

dimensions: 31 '' x 31 ''
Is that just the coop, not including the nests?
The trap door reduces the size further.
It's too small, IMO.

How big is the foot print, 48 x 48"?

One of the biggest, and most frequent mistakes, new keepers make is not enough space.

Maybe, maybe, if you put this in a very large(10' x 10') secure run and do some modifications,
it could work pretty well.
Sorry.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1607717286038.png

Dimensions sound okay for standard 4 square feet. But I would prefer a tad more space in coop and run. The garden beds are taking away more space inside the coop. If the person can make this version a tad bigger. It would be fantastic!

thanks for the advice everyone. I had one quiz question about the coop. Where would you all recommend to put the feeder and waterer? I was thinking the run.

Back
Top Bottom