I want to hatch duck eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crj, Dec 9, 2010.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Hello Peeps,

I have a young duck that finally started laying eggs. I have now found the time to try and hatch some. I have 14 eggs for the incubator. I would like to know, at what temp do I incubate the eggs and for how long. I do not know how long it takes for duck eggs to hatch. Thanks a head of time.

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    What kind of ducks do you have? Muscovies take about 35 days and all other breeds about 28 days. When I hatched ducklings I had my humidity at about 60% and then up to 80%-85% for hatching. Temp is the same as chickens, about 99.6. They should be hand turned 3,5,7 etc times a day, always an odd number so they sit on a different side each night. They should not be turned with a turner, people tend to get better hatch rates that way.

3. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    The eggs are Indian Runners ducks. I have a Brower incubator that slowly rolls the eggs during incubation.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:These are pekin derivitives so they take 28 days. Higher humidity than chickens. I have 17 runners in my bator now sitting at 60% humidity. Lockdown, I need to get to 80%, and I have learned that women's maxi pads hold ALOT of water!!!! Try it!!

5. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Quote:These are pekin derivitives so they take 28 days. Higher humidity than chickens. I have 17 runners in my bator now sitting at 60% humidity. Lockdown, I need to get to 80%, and I have learned that women's maxi pads hold ALOT of water!!!! Try it!!

You mean Mallard deriviatives...? [​IMG]

(A Pekin is a Mallard Deriviative breed)

6. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:Can you turn the turner off? Ducks eggs do much better by handturning them I am told.

7. debilorrah

You mean Mallard deriviatives...? [​IMG]

Yes that is what I meant. I was tired.

8. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:You mean Mallard deriviatives...? [​IMG]

Yes that is what I meant. I was tired.

I knew what you meant

9. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Can you turn the turner off? Ducks eggs do much better by handturning them I am told.

Really? I wonder why that is. I could keep the incubator from turning the eggs. I am worried I will forget to turn them each day. Any idea how many times they need to be turned?

Ok, since I am new a this. How many of you turn your eggs or have the incubator turn them??? I have an incubator where the eggs lay on there sides. I DO NOT have the one with the holes to hold the eggs. Do you think that may make a difference as well? Would love to hear what your thoughts and suggestions are.​

10. debilorrah

Quote:Can you turn the turner off? Ducks eggs do much better by handturning them I am told.

I use the turner because I work full time. I wouldn't be there to turn them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by