I want to hatch duck eggs

crj

Songster
10 Years
Dec 17, 2009
Rocky Point, NC
Hello Peeps,

I have a young duck that finally started laying eggs. I have now found the time to try and hatch some. I have 14 eggs for the incubator. I would like to know, at what temp do I incubate the eggs and for how long. I do not know how long it takes for duck eggs to hatch. Thanks a head of time.

What kind of ducks do you have? Muscovies take about 35 days and all other breeds about 28 days. When I hatched ducklings I had my humidity at about 60% and then up to 80%-85% for hatching. Temp is the same as chickens, about 99.6. They should be hand turned 3,5,7 etc times a day, always an odd number so they sit on a different side each night. They should not be turned with a turner, people tend to get better hatch rates that way.

The eggs are Indian Runners ducks. I have a Brower incubator that slowly rolls the eggs during incubation.

Quote:
These are pekin derivitives so they take 28 days. Higher humidity than chickens. I have 17 runners in my bator now sitting at 60% humidity. Lockdown, I need to get to 80%, and I have learned that women's maxi pads hold ALOT of water!!!! Try it!!

Quote:
These are pekin derivitives so they take 28 days. Higher humidity than chickens. I have 17 runners in my bator now sitting at 60% humidity. Lockdown, I need to get to 80%, and I have learned that women's maxi pads hold ALOT of water!!!! Try it!!

You mean Mallard deriviatives...?
big_smile.png

(A Pekin is a Mallard Deriviative breed)

Quote:

big_smile.png

Yes that is what I meant. I was tired.

Quote:
big_smile.png

Yes that is what I meant. I was tired.

I knew what you meant

Can you turn the turner off? Ducks eggs do much better by handturning them I am told.

Really? I wonder why that is. I could keep the incubator from turning the eggs. I am worried I will forget to turn them each day. Any idea how many times they need to be turned?

Ok, since I am new a this. How many of you turn your eggs or have the incubator turn them??? I have an incubator where the eggs lay on there sides. I DO NOT have the one with the holes to hold the eggs. Do you think that may make a difference as well? Would love to hear what your thoughts and suggestions are.​

Back
Top Bottom