I want to hatch some Indian Runner duck eggs the natural way

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Carpe Chicken, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Carpe Chicken

Carpe Chicken New Egg

Jun 1, 2011
    Hello Newbie here! I would like some information about hatching duck eggs the natural way with my breeding Indian Runners. They have free range of the yard, a pool to bathe
    in, ect. I have left two eggs out there for about 3 days, (we live in New Hampshire). What do I do now? How long does it take and how do I know if they are fertile? Any info would be greatly appreciated!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Duck eggs are usually 28 days to incubate. Mascovy take longer. Usuallly a duck will lay a clutch before she sits on them. I am not familiar with Runners though. After 7 days of incubation, you can candle them to see if there are veins growing. If not, they are not fertile. I would also post your question under the duck section. More duck folks will see it there. [​IMG]

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

4. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Great advice given [​IMG] We just got started in Indian Runners this year, & have just hatched our first ducklings from them today (but it was in an incubator). Indian Runners were bred for their egg laying abilities, so they usually don't go broody. That being said, it can happen. We had a Pekin duck (another breed that has had broodiness bred out of them) hatch out 2 of her own eggs & a gosling in May.

Good luck [​IMG]

6. rockinpaints

rockinpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Ohio
    [​IMG] Welcome from Ohio! [​IMG] and good luck!

7. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by