I want to have a long haired Great Dane.

justbugged

Head of the Night Crew for WA State
14 Years
Jan 27, 2009
Enumclaw
Would the world be a better place with an long haired Great Dane?

I would love to create a sub breed of dog. I know that a number of breeds are also considered pure even with long hair.

I have a strong preference for long haired dogs. I own a Komondor, and I am fairly certain that he will be the last extremely large dog that will live with us. I adore him, but this house is way to small for a dog the size that I want to live with. But if I had the right home, a long haired Great Dane would be nearly perfect for me. I still am fairly certain that a Komondor Great Dane cross, would be over kill in the dog world.
lau.gif

I am twisted enough to have considered a Mastiff, Komondor, Great Dane cross. That might be even more perfect. Then I would toss in a South Russian Ovtcharka. That might be a little over the top.
lau.gif

Last edited:
An Irish Wolfhound might satisfy your need for a very, very large hairy dog.

Saw an absolute gorgeous blue merle grate dane pup at the animal swap last week-end. If I had room for a horse I would have snatched him up. The people had 7 pups left out of 14 and said they go through 50# of puppy food every 5 days...

An Afghan is almost the same thing as a dane with hair. Same body type, a little less slobber and loads and loads and loads of hair. I've seen some Afghans that are every bit as tall as a dane too.

Irish Wolfhounds ARE big!

Borzois, my favorite, had three of them, they are a little smaller in height than the Wolfhounds but their coat is more fine, depending on the bloodlines and texture and curls. And they dont go thru much feed as the Wolfhounds.

IMO, from the Borzoi breeder, Oaklara's, told me that Borzois are not normally "kid-bomb" dogs, they are a bit high strung and they can not tolerate rambeous kids of toddler age. Good for kids of 10 years or older which they are not bouncing off the walls. That is her general opinion of the Borzoi unless you get one as a pup that has exposure to kids.

Both breeds LOVE the couches so be prepared to either to train them to stay off the couch OR have a good throw on them to get less hair on the couches.

I love both breeds.

Back
Top Bottom