I want to keep pairs of different breeds is it possible?

:welcome Well, if they meet the breed description/standard they are the same breed. They will have to be kept separate from other breeds to assure purity of offspring. Depending upon the breed one rooster to one hen most likely will not be a workable set up.

Chicken breeding isn't as easy as getting multiple pairs and them just pairing off with the same type of chicken and only breeding to the one hen. You'll need multiple pens set up separately for a breeding set up or you'll just end up with a bunch of barnyard mixes, which isn't the end of the world but not going to be worth selling.

I'd probably buy the hens you need first, most hatcheries are only 90% or so accurate on sexing chicks so its not out of the question to end up with a roo on occasion. Buying the hens first will ensure you have the hens you need and if you end up with a roo then you know not to buy another.

I would do minimum 3-4 hens per rooster. That is even pushing it but it depends on the rooster. Separate runs and coops for each breed.

I think what you're asking is, how to buy 20 baby chicks at one time, raise them all together, then know how to pair them off when they are grown? The key would be to choose breeds that are clearly different looking - white leghorns, barred rocks, Rhode Island Reds, etc. Research the breeds, and you'll find that combs vary, leg color varies, etc - all tools to help you identify the differences. Or you could use a leg band system of some kind, that would have to be adjusted as they grew. Like others have said, breeding pairs is not ideal - a rooster needs 3-4 hens for everybody's sake! Keep in mind, you'll need separate pens.

Chickens aren't swans, who pair for life. Most roosters would be very hard on a single (or even a couple of) hens. They work better in a harem setup, where the rooster will take care of the hens (protecting, pointing out good food, etc. and then breeding them). Some roosters are more human and hen-friendly than others, so that becomes part of the selection criteria on which ones to keep around and which become meat birds.

Hi, welcome to the forum. Glad you joined.

I'm not exactly sure what is going on either or what your concern is. Could you please give us a little help with some backstory. How do you plan to go about this and what is your desired outcome. What is your concern?

Back
Top Bottom