I want to know all about frillbacks :) Oh and pics too please!

Alicia G

Songster
9 Years
Sep 29, 2010
Nova Scotia
Well I really have no clue about pigeons and for many years I didn't have any interest in them, until I caught a glimpse of one the most beautiful pigeons ever, I mean I was staring in awe at them! One was black with sort of a green/copper sheen with some white and the other with this wonderful pastel red with a mahogany chest. So now I think I am head over heels for these guys and I am putting serious though in getting some. So I have some questions about these beauties.
-What do you feed them?
-What sort of pen should they have?
-Are they OK around other poultry? (ducks/chickens)
-Do they need to be in pairs?trios?male and female or does it matter?
-Can this breed fly?
-Whats there temperament like?
-What do these guys usually sell for?10$?30$?more?
-How long do pigeons usually live for?
Sorry for all the dumb questions
tongue.png

- Normal pigeon food, seeds etc.
- No special cage needs
- In my experience they don't mix well with poultry but it can differ...
- I'd take a pair
- I have no idea
roll.png

- Pigeons can have different personalities.
tongue.png

- I don't know
- Mine have lived for 10 years...

Ok thanks for your input! Out of curiosity, can pigeons be kept indoors like budgies/finches/parrots? I have seen people keep doves in their house but I wonder if it would work with pigeons....
Well raise serama and my own duel purpose line of ducks. My ducks are 8+pounds so they scare them I assume. so I figure if the frillbacks make good indoor pets I wouldn't have to worry about that.

Frillbacks Have Been Bred To Extrem Feather Devolpment They Now Have Some Uniqe Problems First Is They Tend To Be Hard To Sex Takeing Longer Than Most Breeds To Show There Sex. And They Tend To Be Very Shy. This Is For The Show Bred Birds. The Prices Can Range For Ten Dollars Each And Much Higher For The Show Quaility Birds, The Best Breeders Are In Germany Were The Breed Has A Good Following Of Fanciers Good Pigeon Feed With Grit Would Be Good I Feed My Pouters A Chicken Laying Pellets Hen Scratch Has Cracked Corn Which Is Not Recomended For Pigeons . They Are Not The Strongest Fliers So I Would Keep Them In A Pen Four Feet By Four Feet Three High Woulb Be A Good Size Pigeon Are Pretty Hardy All The Y Need Is A Draft Free Dry Place To Live.

From the Encyclopedia Of Pigeon Breeds
By Wendell M. Levi

Origin; Asia Minor
Possibly France

Description;coverts are curled
Short squatty legs

Size; 13-14 oz.

Ortaments; Curled feathers
Plain headed and crested
Usually grouse legged or small booted

Clubs; American Frillback Club

Back