I want to know which eggs are laid by a certain hen

The duck plan sounds good, as long as they all get along.
I put her in with the ducks today. They get along fine, but all she wanted was to be with the chickens. I even put another hen in with her (who lays a different colored egg), but they both didn't like it. Oh well. I guess I'll keep her in the crate for the most part and put her with the rest of the chickens on days when she lays an egg.

Thank you all for the suggestions. It sounds too difficult to reliably mark her eggs. She doesn't lay every day so if I kept her in a cage until she laid she wouldn't come out some days. I might try letting her outside in the duck pen which is separate from the chicken pen, at least on days with good weather.
I wouldn't stress her out by putting her in a pen with another species. Make sure to not allow any drakes by her—a drake mating a chicken hen ends with death for the female.

I wouldn't stress her out by putting her in a pen with another species. Make sure to not allow any drakes by her—a drake mating a chicken hen ends with death for the female.
I let the chickens and ducks forage together occasionally so she's been with them before. And I don't have a drake so no worries there. She certainly prefers to be with her own kind though.

I once had a hen named Vicky who was on antibiotics and we couldn't eat her eggs...
We separated her in a separate coop and that worked perfectly. You can also put her in a crate with some bedding.
Hopefully she feels better soon :hugs
She's in an XL dog crate with food, water, bedding, and a roosting bar. I'll be letting her out with the rest of the chickens on days she lays an egg in the crate.

I doubt lipstick would last that long. Would love to know. On humans the kind that would share color usually only lasts a few hours. A dog cage is great for isolating when needed. I just have a few chicks now so I try to buy 2 of each of different egg color. Ameraunas can be 2 blue and 2 green, then I have a couple dark brown, light brown and almost white. You could then isolate 2 together and just sacrifice all the eggs (I throw them out for wild critters, but I have a cliff they go over). Obviously if you have a large flock, that won't work. But I quit selling and just do for us and friends.

Back
Top Bottom