I want to naturally hatch eggs! Need HELP!

Roberts2100

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 16, 2012
Madison, AL
like back in the day. So I bought some Buff Orpington help because they will sit on eggs more likely. Well I have one of my 3 girls will sit on them most of the day and then when its night time she, along with everyone else, get on the roost poles. I don't know how to make her stay on the eggs. So I am looking for idea to keep her on the eggs. I know at some point in the day she will get off the eggs and eat drink and do her thing but she never comes back on the eggs. I thought I could sneek out there and put her back on the eggs when she was sleeping but I was wrong. She woke up and make all kinds of noise and Mr. Roo was upset at me for messing with his girls. Any who, how to I get her to stay on the eggs? Also, I have a heat light to keep the coop temp up from the cold outside. I have included a picture of my nesting boxes.

The second nesting box from the left with most of the eggs is where buff sits most of the time. I have not robbed her eggs but she won't stay on them. The checkers is the one sitting in the far left box trying to lay one at the time of the picture.

If your hen doesn't sleep in the nest box she's not properly broody. And you can't make a hen go broody and sit if she doesn't want to. The only thing you can do is wait. Mark the eggs she's been sitting on during the day and leave them in the nest for her. It may encourage her to go broody and try to hatch them. If she goes broody and spends at least 2 nights in the box swap the eggs for fresh eggs so she can hatch them. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom