I want to put a collar on my hen, what type should I use?

Chickens' anatomy doesn't really lend itself to using a collar. Sometimes people put "no-crow collars" on roosters but sometimes the rooster ends up strangling to death from it. :(

Securing their enclosure against escape is probably a better use of the money, time, and energy.

If she's flying out of an open-topped run you can clip a wing to see if that keeps her in: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/wing-clipping.76982/
I have clipped one wing on each chicken but they can still fly up into the fence

I have tried but they still dont respond to it

Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters.

Can you show us photos of your setup and explain how your chickens are getting out?

I have clipped one wing on each chicken but they can still fly up into the fence

How old are they? Chicks and juveniles often fly well but are more easily grounded after they reach mature size.

Can you show us photos of your setup and explain how your chickens are getting out?

How old are they? Chicks and juveniles often fly well but are more easily grounded after they reach mature size.
They are about 14 weeks old

North west Arkansas, they have a pen with fencing around it and a gate for us to get in. They have a large chicken coop in the pen too

They are about 14 weeks old

That's a prime age for flying.

They'll have one more juvenile molt and then should start settling down.

I would definitely not try to fit a collar on them because they're still growing rapidly. I have some pullets about this age and I'm checking their leg bands twice a week to make sure they're not getting too tight.

This is the only picture I have

Attachments

• USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1652664447381_6931777102310085094.jpeg
    USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1652664447381_6931777102310085094.jpeg
    527.6 KB · Views: 4
North west Arkansas, they have a pen with fencing around it and a gate for us to get in. They have a large chicken coop in the pen too

Can you take a photo of the fence?

I use an open pen that I can't cover because I use mobile electric poultry netting, but if your fence is stationary you could consider putting netting over the pen.

Alternately, some people have managed to contain birds by raising the fence with some kind of floppy material that they can't land on top of. Chickens rarely fly up and over an obstacle, preferring to land on top of it then go down the other side.

Back
Top Bottom