I want to raise chickens ... what are the most important things to attend to first?

brau

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 18, 2014
I've been researching and reading a lot about raising chickens. There is tons of information out there and it's actually a little daunting. What should be the first things on my to do list?

Personally, I'd start with deciding what breeds you're going to get. Depending on the breeds, you may design your coop/run differently.

So decide: Are you raising them for show, meat, eggs, or some combination of the three? Once you've decided that, do you want bantams or standard breeds? (Size will make a difference when designing their housing.) From there, look into the breeds that meet your criteria, decide what you want, then build housing to suit.

That is, in my opinion, the first step. Setting up proper housing for the birds you want.

ETA: Also decide if you want to buy the birds when they are already grown and laying (which will save you some money in feed and care costs) or do you want to purchase them as chicks and raise them yourself (which will cost you more in feed and care, but you'll get the joyous experience of watching the little balls of fluff turn into full grown chickens).

Last edited:
I'm a newbie too, but first and foremost I researched the laws in my city. I am only allowed 3 hens and 1 rooster.

You're right! I'm torn about saving money, but baby chicks are so cute. I was thinking about having between 4-5 chickens and I did want them for the eggs. I was thinking the Red Sex Link chickens because they seem to be egg laying machines/easy-going personalities. Do you have any experience with this breed?

I pretty much did what Lizz9311 said - first I went to a local feed store to see what breeds were available (or could be ordered) and were appropriate for my area (Houston hot weather). I picked a dual purpose & an "easy for beginners" breed, did some calculations on approximate eggs I would get per week, and then used that to determine the number of birds I should get.

After that I'd say 100% of my focus was on building a coop appropriate for my location/weather. And honestly I just spent a LOT of time looking at coop after coop and reading about other people's experiences. I picked out features I thought would work best for my yard and then designed my own coop/run.

BYC is an amazing resource. My advice would be to just start scrolling through the coop section. Look at everything - even the coops you would never build. You'll still learn a ton from other people's experiences and pick up a lot of great tips along the way.

Good luck!
smile.png

In terms of saving money by getting pullets or laying hens......for us the coop/run construction ended up being the most expensive aspect of getting a flock started and thus the feed costs of raising babies paled in comparison!

If you absolutely CAN'T have roosters and wouldn't be comfortable butchering accidental ones, then yes you should get older chickens. But if you have the freedom too, in my opinion no one should miss out on raising baby chicks. It goes so fast, but I was lucky to be home for a while when we first got them and I wouldn't trade that experience and all its cuteness.

We made the decision to order from MyPetChicken so we could get a small order and sexed bantams, placed the order, then had to figure out a coop to buy and where/how to site it. Everything else (brooder setup etc) was easy-peasy. And by the time we ordered the breeds I wanted were mostly sold out, so there went that tough choice! If you want chicks and are doing mail-order, select early.

You're right! I'm torn about saving money, but baby chicks are so cute. I was thinking about having between 4-5 chickens and I did want them for the eggs. I was thinking the Red Sex Link chickens because they seem to be egg laying machines/easy-going personalities. Do you have any experience with this breed?
Sex links are laying machines but can be a bit bossy and sometimes mean. (At least in my and my friend's experience.) I recommend australorps, buff orps and sussex. They are all great layers and very friendly and curious.

In terms of things to consider first: Think about legal issues, time, neighbors, space and breeds.

Some cities don't allow chickens at all. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-laws-and-ordinances-and-how-to-change-them

Chickens don't take up a lot of time but they do necessitate care. http://gardenclub.homedepot.com/chickens/

Some neighbors simply don't enjoy chickens loud nosies and constant pooping. If your neighbors are concerned about factors such as smell, noise or even sight then you will have to thoroughly explain how you plan to keep your chickens. Tell you neighbors that you are only going to keep hens and not roosters. Tell them that you will stay on top of your chores so there won’t be much smell. If they are concerned about seeing the chickens then you’ll have to build your coop out of common sight. (Behind the garage or in the backyard.) You can decorate it with designs, flowers and bushes to make it more appealing. Sometimes neighbors don’t like chickens because they had a bad experience with chickens when they were young. If you plan to keep friendly breeds, be sure to allow your neighbors to hold and pet each one so they can actually see how docile some chickens can be.

Chickens don't require heaping amounts of space. Chickens need about 3-5 square feet per bird in the coop and 8-12 square feet per bird in the run.https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need

And then of course breeds. https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

I'm not too worried about my neighbors since I live in a small town and this is a common practice. But I think that is great advice and it's definitely neighborly to assure your neighbors you can manage your chickens.

Good to know about the breed! I think that is a great to go to a local store to find breeds that can survive the weather. I live in Idaho so it can be quite harsh in the winter.

I always decide why I want the chicken(egg laying purposes or just for the fun of it) then I decide the breeds that meet my needs/wants. then I design my coop for that breed. Note: some breeds need more space than other breeds. then I find build the coop and buy the feeders and waterers to put in there. then I search for the cheapest price on that breed then I purchase and watch them grow in their new coop.

If you need help finding a breed at a great price, go to my thread called GOLDEN SEABRIGHT'S HATCHERY HELP

Back
Top Bottom